Need help identifying radiator shrouds...99' - 400 w/ IMS

4 replies to this topic
  • bparsel1

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Hey Guys, I bought my 400 with this gas tank on it. I'm ordering new shrouds and I'm not sure if these are WR shrouds or if I need to order YZ shrouds for this tank? I know the pictures arent great and it's kinda hidden behind my 2 smoker but anybody know? Thanks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Speedracer747-400

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:48 AM

The 98-99 YZ400F and 98-00 WR400F use the same radiator shrouds. I'm pretty sure your aftermarket tank is a Zip-Ty Racing tank that they have made by IMS to there specifications. It carries the fuel lower than the normal IMS tank. The only time you have to worry about shroud compatibility is between the 400 and 426. The 426 radiator shrouds has the lower mounting hole at a 45 degree angle where it attaches to the radiator, it's straight on the 400. Just order some YZ/WR 400 radiator shrouds and you will be fine. Acerbis seems to fit pretty good if your going with aftermarket plastic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted February 14, 2008 - 12:03 PM

only difference between WR and YZ shrouds is the front bottom mount angle shown in my pic - I think the ones on my bike are YZ and the WR mount base is level with the plastic of the shroud, not angled, but it'll work.
Ok, just found out that this change didn't occur until 2001 for the YZ426F - but the parts will still work/interchangeable from 98 up to and including 2002
Posted Image

For clarity - WR shroud:
Posted Image

YZ shroud:
Posted Image

• Speedracer747-400

Posted February 14, 2008 - 01:06 PM

only difference between WR and YZ shrouds is the front bottom mount angle shown in my pic - I think the ones on my bike are YZ and the WR mount base is level with the plastic of the shroud, not angled, but it'll work.
Ok, just found out that this change didn't occur until 2001 for the YZ426F - but the parts will still work/interchangeable from 98 up to and including 2002

The reason the radiator attachment holes in your shrouds don't line up correctly on your bike is because your using 426 shrouds on 400 radiators.

Yamaha made a design change in the shroud to radiator attachment bolt angle in 2000 on the YZ426F. The WR426F received this same change a year later in 2001. So the 98-99 YZ400F and 98-00 WR400F use the same radiator shrouds. The 00-02 YZ426F and 01-02 WR426F use the redesigned radiator shrouds with the radiator mounting hole at a 45 degree angle.

• bparsel1

Posted February 14, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.