scott stabilizer mounting question

12 replies to this topic
  • thumpyz

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:50 PM

My wife just bought me a scott steering stabilizer for v-day:applause: when I bought my bike(04 yz40f) it came with a longhorn top triple clamp. I found out from scott today that they dont make a mount for my triple clamp(angled handlebar mount bolts):) . Has anybody else out there had this problem? Are there any more companies that might make a mount for this or am I stuck upgraging or making my own mount?:applause:

• Speedracer747-400

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:40 PM

I'm pretty sure no one makes a stabilizer mount for your Longhorn triple clamps. Rocky Mountain sells those triple clamps for like $79 so your not at to much of a loss. I'm not sure I really trust the quality of them either. Check out BRP, Scotts, or Applied Racing for new triple clamps with a Scotts stabilizer mount. I'm running rubber mounted BRP triple clamps with a sub mount for the steering damper. This way you can still run a bar pad if you choose to.

http://www.brpmoto.c...ath=45_287_1922

• thumpyz

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Thanks, i wasnt sure of them either, i never heard of them. I am better off just upgrading i guess.

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2008 - 10:54 PM

Tag has the T2 at only $140 from the TT store, and that clamp offers 4 bar positions. You will need to decide which one you like before you buy your mount.

There is also the Scotts "sub mount" option, which uses a Scotts top clamp to mount the damper below the bars. That raises the bars an inch, though, so you may find yourself looking for a lower bend. Info at http://www.scottsonline.com

Regardless of how it ends up, it will be worth it. You'll love the damper.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 02, 2009 - 11:12 PM

Just ordered 24mm Applied clamps with the sub mount plate option with rubber bar mounts...I need to order the Scotts Stabilizer, but I'm not sure which package is for use with the Applied clamps???
Do I need to order the "Bolt-on-Sub mount Frame Bracket" by itself and then the "Stabilizer Only" with the "reverse" option???
ANSWER IS YES

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted June 03, 2009 - 03:53 AM

Just ordered 24mm Applied clamps with the sub mount plate option with rubber bar mounts...I need to order the Scotts Stabilizer, but I'm not sure which package is for use with the Applied clamps???
Do I need to order the "Bolt-on-Sub mount Frame Bracket" by itself and then the "Stabilizer Only" with the "reverse" option???

Call Scotts 818 248-6747 and ask - friendly and helpful. Make sure you get the bracket for the correct year bike. I have the Scotts sub mount system on my 07 with Applied clamps and I like it. I went with the ProTaper YZ high bar bends and I am 6'0". The rise moves the bars a little closer to you and up an inch, but the YZ bend moves them out a few mm to compensate. After a little foam removal I was able to use a ProTaper bar pad. If you are not on the tall side, you may not like it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:41 AM

Yes, I'm 6'2", so I'm sure I'll like the extra height (already have the tall sdg)...
I picked up the Windham bend bars to try out...

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Windhams with a SUB mount is going to be pretty tall. The mount raises the bars about 25mm.

If you're off roading a lot, or if you just stand a lot, ask Scotts about a SUB mount that moves the bars forward some.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 03, 2009 - 06:30 AM

Which bars would you recommend gray? I can still swap those out for another bend...

The Applied clamps with the submount has already been ordered...
I'll call Staci at Applied Race 800-853-0555
and Scotts at 818 248-6747 as soon as the day gets started and get some more info and post later...

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2009 - 08:51 AM

Well, here's the thing. My son and I both run Windham bends. I've shrunk from 6'0" to around 5'10", and he's 6'5", so we obviously have different tastes, but he's also one of those people who adapts to everything and then doesn't want to change it.

The stock '06 bar is about 70~74mm or so. The Windham is 99mm. The YZ high is 84, and with the 25mm for the SUB, that's what, about 109, right? That would work for me, as long as I could get the grips far enough forward to be comfortable standing. If you think you'd like something taller, Pro Taper's "Factory Suzuki/KTM" bend is 92mm, for a 117mm total. Or, you might like it way up there with the Windhams. :crazy:

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 03, 2009 - 09:15 AM

OK...I'm going to swap the Windham Contours for the Carmichael Evos...
The Carmichaels have a 77mm bend with a 55mm pullback, so with the SUB 102mm...
I was going to go for the yz highs, but I'm cautious about the 52mm pullback, as I'll also trim half an inch or so off the ends of the bars???

Here's how the triple clamps / stabilizer worked out:
Applied Race (Staci 1-800-853-0555):
part#5624KBK = 24mm Factory Kit
part#5757KBK = Submount Kit (swapped out for no extra charge)
part#3934 = Rubber Cones
Scotts (Steve 1-818-248-6747)
part#4200-04 = Scotts Steering Stabilizer
part#FBD-7330 = Sub Mount Bolt On Frame Bracket

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted June 03, 2009 - 10:10 PM

OK...I'm going to swap the Windham Contours for the Carmichael Evos...
The Carmichaels have a 77mm bend with a 55mm pullback, so with the SUB 102mm...
I was going to go for the yz highs, but I'm cautious about the 52mm pullback, as I'll also trim half an inch or so off the ends of the bars???

Here's how the triple clamps / stabilizer worked out:
Applied Race (Staci 1-800-853-0555):
part#5624KBK = 24mm Factory Kit
part#5757KBK = Submount Kit (swapped out for no extra charge)
part#3934 = Rubber Cones
Scotts (Steve 1-818-248-6747)
part#4200-04 = Scotts Steering Stabilizer
part#FBD-7330 = Sub Mount Bolt On Frame Bracket

I tried the Windhams on mine with the submount and they felt good standing but too high sitting. I was concerned with the hands being too far back and that is why I went with the YZ High. I don't trim the bars. Let us know how you like them.
I also have an 05 YZ 250 with an Applied clamp, 10mm bar risers and a top mount GPR and I believe a CR high bend. This is very comfortable.

• Aka.Goose

Posted July 01, 2009 - 09:08 AM

Let us know how you like them.

Went with the Carmichael's...Freaking love it...I made many changes at once, so it's hard to narrow down what exactly changed what, but yeah, I feel like the bike fits me much better now, my turns have overnight become much sharper and faster...But I got new rubber, a scott's damper, offset applied tripples, rubber mounts, new bars, and lighter wheels, all in one shot...So yeah it's a different beast for sure...I'm very happy with my mods...
And very thankful Gray rides Yamis!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.