HAVE A WR 400 THINKING OF POSSIBLY GETTING A NEW 426 WR VS YZ ANY THOUGHTS

5 replies to this topic
  • rfa371

Posted April 17, 2002 - 04:26 PM

I HAVE A 1999 WR 400 LOVE IT JUST JOT USED TO THE POWER AND THINK I WANT MORE. aNYBODY OUT THERE WHO HAS MADE THE SWITCH GOING FROM THE 400 TO 426 I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME INPUT. IM ALSO POSSIBLY THINKING OF GETTING A YZ INSTEAD OF WR. BUT I HAVE HEARD THAT THEY ARE JUST BEASTS TO RIDE. I DONT KNOW AND ANYONE WHO HAS GONE AND SWITCHED. THE REAL LIFE PROS AND CONS. I RIDE A LOT OF OPEN TERRAIN NOT AN EXTENSIVE AMOUNT OF WOODS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THAT OPTION OPEN. IF I GO TO A YZ WOULD THAT JUST BE REDICULOUS IN THE WOODS OR IS IT JUST OK. I WILL GET A NEW BIKE NEXT YEAR IM WAITING FOR THE NEW 2003 MODELS TO ARRIVE MAYBY THERE IS A 450 OR MORE IN THE WORKS FOR YAMAHA DONT KNOW.

• Steve_Sanford

Posted April 17, 2002 - 07:02 PM

I just bought a WR426. If I could take it back and get a YZ I would in a heart beat. All I've been doing is making a WR into a YZ. The YZ is nasty right off the floor with a quik pipe, bars, and jetting. The leaner, thinner YZ handles better and is already snappy. Although I'm happy with the WR it has taken alittle to much time, and money. Just read what these guys are doing to there WR's. If you have the time, money, and patients you can turn any thing into a monster. Really go back-in-forth from the WR's/YZ's and take your time in making a decission. This is just one persons opinion!

• Keener

Posted April 18, 2002 - 03:26 AM

I am making mods to make my 01 WR426 to make it hit like the YZ. I do both track and trail riding. Having not ridden a YZ on the trail, I cannot judge the difference in tranny gearing.

Again, look at all the mods we are doing to our WR's. It seems to me that if you chose the YZ, you could make it more managable on the trails by adding flywheel weight and perhaps a gearing change. If lights are important, check out the lighting systems from E-Line (somewhat expensive).

I love my WR and have no intention of changing. It's all about riding style. Some YZ guys love their bikes on the trails while others get the crap scared out of them in the tight stuff.

Just read and re-read the entries here in the TT forums. Whichever bike you choose, I'm sure you will be happy.

Don't forget, just one more season and the 2003's will be out

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto614

Posted April 18, 2002 - 04:49 AM

I went the other way and bought the yz and added the flywheel weight,electrex lighting coil ignition and went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket,i also made it street legal(barely)so i can mx,enduro,dual-sport,trail ride all with one bike i love it. I haven't spent a dime on it to make more power(it has plenty)definatly a do it all bike(FOR ME)

• racemile

Posted April 18, 2002 - 05:32 AM

RFA,

I was thinking hard about the YZ also. It came down to this. What kind of riding do I do? Here in Colorado, I do big mountains, rocky trails, and very tight woods. I am not really into speed, I am more into making sure I have the power to get up out of trouble. When I was younger, I enjoyed trials style riding, but, I knew that that was not the style I was looking for either.

It came down to the gear box and suspension for me. I wanted a good all round bike that would do trails without killing me and allow me to run at a track if I got a wild hair.

We WR owners do a lot of mods to get the YZ power, but, these mods are easy and inexpensive. I like the adaptbility of this bike as opposed to the YZ. Its easy to cut a wire, or cut a throttle stop, or change timing. But its very expensive to change out a transmission. So I got the WR.

While I have only had the bike since Feb 28th, I am confident that this ride while let me keep up/pass my youngest brother on his husky 610. once I get used to the bike. In the past he would dust me on the straights, and I would smoke him (on a DR350) in the trees. I feel confident that my brothers next purchase should be a chest protector, because I plan on huckin' BIG rocks at him ALL SUMMER. (hope he reads this!!! He's a TT lurker)

Jason

P.S. I ran across a YZ426 owner in the woods. He was very dissatisfied with his bike. While the speed and power would allow him to keep up with anyone. Most of his riding was at lower speeds. The gearing on the YZ wouldn't allow him to easily ride with his (much slower) group without lots of extra effort. Just FYI.

• b-bike

Posted April 18, 2002 - 08:38 PM

rfa371:

I spent this last weekend riding "The Grade" in western Oregon. This place has everything from tight twisty trails to open hard pack gravel roads. My riding partner has a 2000 WR-400 & I have a 2001 YZ-426. We took turns riding each others bike so we could get a feel for what (if anything) we were missing out on.

Yes these bikes are different. The most glaring are...

* The suspension is softer on the WR.
* First gear is lower on the WR.
* The power hit is harder on the YZ.

Here is where it gets interesting. My partner and I raced side by side several times and my YZ did not blast away from his WR. It did "slightly" pull on his WR but no to the extent that we anticipated.

The point to all this... I bought the YZ because I found a new one for $1100.00 less then the new WR and I'm not missing out on anything, nor is my partner.

You can make a WR into a YZ. Or... You can make a YZ into a WR. Get the bike that you think will fit the style of riding you will do most, or, what you can afford. If that style of riding changes... Your bike can too. :)

As you can see by my signature, I'm in the process of making my YZ into a WR. All I need now is the flywheel weight. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.