High Mileage Bikes, who's got the highest???

24 replies to this topic
  • ghrati ghoti

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:25 AM

I'm curious if the higher mileage guys are using synthetic or dino. NOT starting an oil debate, just wondering if there would appear to be a difference in engine longevity between the two different types of oil.

I use Rotella for the most part. I have also ran Mobil's diesel oil. My commute quite often leaves me sitting in traffic, in summer, road surface temps easily top 130º. 2004 L, no oil cooler, Dave's mods, E2 can, Uni filter. 31k, uses about 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles.

• durandal

Posted March 03, 2008 - 08:25 AM

I believe my friend with the 70k+ XR650L does not use synthetic, just mineral oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big Red Paul

Posted March 03, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Depends on failure mode, riding conditions and a host of other variables too.

Pray tell, what does 'failure mode' mean anyone?

PS: I have 11,000 Kilometers on the XRR, which is my dry commute, distance riding /recreation bike.

I have 55,000 Kilometers on my KDX250SR, which is used for dry/wet commutes, going to the 7-11 to buy six-packs, etc. Apart from the KiPS blowing up one afternoon and needing a whole new top-end, it is still (fingerscrossed) going strong. If an old (circa '94) two-smoke can get haul my heavy a## all that way, I have Great Expectations for the PIG.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:52 PM

Pray tell, what does 'failure mode' mean anyone?

Failure mode: mode of failure; the way in which something failed; how it broke.

• Big Red Paul

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:21 AM

Headtrauma, thank you. I should have paid more attention during English class at school.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.