Retracting sidestand

7 replies to this topic
  • dobblego

Posted February 13, 2008 - 12:13 AM

I have just bought a 2003 WR450 and the side-stand automatically retracts when the bike is lifted. Is there any after-market gadget I can get that so that the stand retracts only when I give it a kick? Just worried about kids around the bike. Thanks for any pointers.

• gregwr450f

Posted February 13, 2008 - 01:59 AM

wack a washer in there so it stiffens it up a bit.

• dugabrams

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:17 AM

My '03 250 and '05 450 don't do what yours does. Maybe Austrailian version only?

• markseaba

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:22 AM

mine does not do that either, nor do 3 others that i know of. Take a look at your kick stand. Sounds like something is wrong with it, or someone put a tighter spring on it. I am thinking a weaker or little longer spring may remove the auto action on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted February 13, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Can you post a picture of it? Never heard of that before :applause:

• scalejockey

Posted February 13, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Was looking at a new husky the other day tipped it from the side and WACK right on the shin!! But iv'e never seen a Yamaha do this.Must be a euro thing??

• gregwr450f

Posted February 14, 2008 - 12:20 AM

Oh ok you are from OZ.
The spring bends over a little lug, just remove the lug, problem solved.

• simonreeves

Posted February 15, 2008 - 11:53 AM

hello mate, mine's an '06 uk model & it's the same as yours. I agree that it can be a pain, you've only got to take a little of the weight off the bike & the stand flips up. Can be awkward when you're working on it too.:applause:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.