07 stock tank

4 replies to this topic
  • rbn14

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:38 PM

I am getting a little worried with a race coming up this weekend. I did a search and read tons of contradicting things on how many miles can be made on a stock tank. I have a 168 main and all the free mods. I still tend to ride the bike a bit like a two-stroke and the race this weekend should consist of lots of wet sand. I ended up breaking all my spokes at the last race (first on this bike) and the odo was at 40 miles. After I got a new wheel on and went to start it, the bike had to be on reserve to start (i had it on reserve from the start of the race). I have to be able to make a 55 mile loop. What do you guys think?

• FastRides

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:19 PM

rbn, I'm in the same boat as you (i.e. stock tank for this wkend with same jetting - 168 main, JD blue #3 and 48 pilot to be exact). I hit reserve at 42 miles riding Nightingale a few wks ago. There was a bit more snow, but I'm not confident about getting the next 13 on Sunday. According to the manual, the tank is 2.11 gal total - of which reserve is only .29 gal. :applause: That equates to 42 miles in 1.82 or roughly 23 mi/gal, which means about 6.7 more on reserve at that rate (if my public math is correct here). As much as I hate to do it, I'm planning on staging fuel at the alt gas / 30 mile mark - I'd hate to flame out a few miles short. These longer loops are making that IMS tank look better and better all the time... Good luck and thanks for the reply in the desert tire thread - I'll look for you this wkend. Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rbn14

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Ya your math is right and I think we would be lucky to even get that far. I was planning on getting an IMS tank anyway but was waiting for that tax return!!! I hate using alt gas so I ordered my tank from RMS this morning... it's just money right...
See you at the races, Should be great!!!
Robby

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:31 AM

You won't do 55 miles at race pace on a stock 07' tank.... sad but true:thumbsdn:

• kevinwr450f

Posted February 13, 2008 - 02:27 PM

I am getting a little worried with a race coming up this weekend. I did a search and read tons of contradicting things on how many miles can be made on a stock tank. I have a 168 main and all the free mods. I still tend to ride the bike a bit like a two-stroke and the race this weekend should consist of lots of wet sand. I ended up breaking all my spokes at the last race (first on this bike) and the odo was at 40 miles. After I got a new wheel on and went to start it, the bike had to be on reserve to start (i had it on reserve from the start of the race). I have to be able to make a 55 mile loop. What do you guys think?

My set up is similar and I get anywhere from 42-55 miles out of a tank:thumbsdn:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.