E Button/Kill Button Info

2 replies to this topic
  • simica

Posted February 12, 2008 - 07:51 PM

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before but recently during a practice lap before a race, my '05 WR 450 suddenly started running poorly, missing and back firing to the point it finally stopped running and wood not restart.* Had to use my son's bike for the race.

Back home it took me a while to figure out the problem.* When I turned on the "on" switch, the bike would try to start.* When it did start, I could hear the starter motor spinning and the bike would run poorly.* I eventually traced the problem to the e button.* Two plus years of riding and washing corroded the inside of the switch.* Unplugged the e button and the bike ran fine again. Had to use the kick starter for a while - terrible thing.

The point of this thread.* If this ever happens to anyone during a race or on a trail ride and unplugging the e button makes the bike run again, you can use the kill button as an e button.* The plug behind the number plate is identical to the e button plug so just pull out the e button and plug in the kill button.* I am actually using a kill button now on the right side because thats all my Yamaha dealer had in stock. Just be aware that the wires are alittle shorter on the kill button.* FYI

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted February 13, 2008 - 06:59 AM

that's a nice idea. maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to put some dielectric grease on the insides of those switches.

• rbn14

Posted February 13, 2008 - 10:11 AM

I know on the '07 the kill and start buttons use different plugs. I broke my start button and the dealer here screwed up and ordered the kill switch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.