Do I still need a new chain?

I know this subject has been beat to death a thousand and one times. I just traded my 07 WR for an 07 YZ 450. The guy broke the bike in very gently and has about 12 hours on the bike. I haven't actually seen the bike because it is about a four hour drive from me, so I had my cousin check it out. I know the stock chain is worthless, but after 12-15 hours of riding with the stock chain, is the damage already done or is there a possibility that the chain wheel and front sprocket are still good? Should I get the new chain or just wait for everything to wear out and get new then? Just asking so I can have the part(s) here when the bike arrives.

Thanks,

Nate

the stock chains are like rubber bands they stretch a lot. some people change the chains out before they ride them. with that many hrs on it already i would keep the stock chain on and finish it out when the bike reaches 20-25hrs i would change chain and sprockets. not real sure on sprockets but regina chain is a good choice.

Regina RX3 or ORN6 chains will be better than stock or any did non o-ring chain. I don't know what they did but the DID ERT-2 doesn't last half as long as the old ERT did. Sprockets-sunstar, afam/tag, pro-taper,which I'll be trying out, are probably the best aluminum sprockets and then there is the Ironman steel sprocket.

its pretty hard to wear out a sprocket unless the chain is far beyond the spec tightness. i ran the stock chain on my 06 for about 20 hours before i ran out of adjusting room, and my sprocket is still in almost perfect condition... i now use a regina orn6 chain and haven't had to adjust it once with over 40 hours on it, and stock sprocket is still in good condition.

its pretty hard to wear out a sprocket unless the chain is far beyond the spec tightness.
It isn't the tension of the chain that wears sprockets, it's the increase in pitch (length between pins) that occurs when the pins and bushings in the chain wear. This can be measured for quite easily as laid out in the manual on page 3-31 (or so), covering chain and sprocket inspection. Basically when any section of the chain measures 2% or more longer than new, it should be replaced.

It is possible to have a chain worn beyond spec without it having yetr done a significant amount of damage to the sprockets, although that is not normally the case, since most chains wear slower than the OEM YZ chains. You have to evaluate each component on its own merits.

OTOH, it's actually common to have a rear sprocket worn significantly without there being anything at all wrong with the chain, especially with the less expensive aluminum gears. Again, inspecting each component is the way to know.