Synthetic oil - wr426

9 replies to this topic
  • hockeylife

Posted October 24, 2002 - 07:55 AM

Is it OK to start using Mobil 1 at 90 miles total, or must I continue to use dino for further break-in? And do I really have to check the frame filter at this point? At the advice of this board I have a ZipTy plug on the way.
Thanks for the advice and for the wealth of info here. As background, I last strapped my legs around a RM250 20 years ago, forgot how much fun it was when I rode my son's new Suzuki Ozark a couple weeks ago. Immediately starting looking for a 4-stroke Suzuki to trail ride with him - always owned Suzuki's. But after discovering this site and finding a couple month old 426 with 60 miles I sucked it up and bought a as new Yamaha - still hard to say. But after riding last 2 Sundays, must say it is a great bike. Cut the throttle stop last week - big difference, but had a hard time leaving the airbox cover off - so it's still there.
Oh, I am SW of Albany, NY - anyone near? Thanks

Posted October 24, 2002 - 08:27 AM

You are ok at 90 miles to start using the Mobile 1 or any other synthetic...enjoy

Bonzai :)

• dw

Posted October 24, 2002 - 09:34 AM

What the h... is dino? and why can't you use Shell / Mobil 1 at the start?

• BlueDragon

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:23 AM

Do you guys pefer mobile 1 or a synthetic over the yamalube motor oil? Is one better to use than the other?

• x2smoker

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:25 AM

From what I've seen, manufacturers recomend NO synthetic until the engine is broken in. Reason I've been told is that it doesn't allow the rings and bearings to properly "wear in". After 90 miles, your engine should be suffeciently broken in, so go ahead with the synthetic.

On the other hand, is synthetic really better, especially when most of us change the oil after every hundred miles or so? Think of the additional cost. From my experience, synthetic didn't buy any performance increase. I do like to use it occasionally, however, just to clean out the engine. It is just a personal preference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trailryder42

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:27 AM

Mobile 1 is a synthetic oil. "Dino" oils are your conventional oils. Synthetics are not recommended for the break in period as it's believed they don't allow the rings to seat properly.

• BlueDragon

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:38 AM

I'm a trailrider not really a MXer, Do you guys suggest changing my oil every 100 miles or so? And the oil filter? If I go with the factory (brass meshing) it's about 13 bucks a pop! Maybe the one from scotts might be a good investment.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:38 AM

Synthetic is usually thinner, meaning quicker oil pressure when starting and less friction, it also stands up to high revs better, if you want to ride like my sister, use mineral. :)

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted October 24, 2002 - 11:49 AM

Every thing should be ok to start using Mobil - 1 . The claim is that your engine will stop wearing ,check out there web site . Less friction and heat because things slide better . It works . I use it in my 88 G L 1500 , 98 WR and car .

Posted October 25, 2002 - 03:54 AM

Synthetic is better because it has better adherance to metals even when it sit's up for awhile, causing less wear during start and warm-up operations...where Dino based oil drips off the critical components after sitting awhile. 15 to 20 seconds with no lubrication causes much more engine wear...

Bonzai :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.