Help Identify A Chain

8 replies to this topic
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:47 PM

Ok guys, so I bought an 01 426 about 5 months ago and the guy tha I bought it from put the clip on the master link on backwards so that a rock could pop the clip off. I rode it untill now and would like to get a new link and clip. So I know the chain is an RK and it has o-rings but do not know if it is an x ring or just an o-ring chain. There is a number engraved into the chain and it is either X501 or Xs01. Most likely X501 though is what it looks to me. Any imput on what chain this is will be much appreciated. Thanks all.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted February 12, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Just pull the existing master link off and look at it ... The differences between an O-Ring and an X-Ring are pretty apparent ...

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Just pull the existing master link off and look at it ... The differences between an O-Ring and an X-Ring are pretty apparent ...

Correct me if Im wrong but does an x ring actually have an odd shaped o-ring?

• Pezman04wrx

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:03 AM

Yes, from the side they both look like an O ... If you were to cut one and look at the cross section of it an "O-Ring" will still look like an O where the "X-Ring" cross section looks like an odd shaped X ...

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Yes, from the side they both look like an O ... If you were to cut one and look at the cross section of it an "O-Ring" will still look like an O where the "X-Ring" cross section looks like an odd shaped X ...

Posted Image

Thanks for clearing that up. It is an x ring

• tnl

Posted February 12, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Is the existing clip in bad condition? Why not reuse the clip but install it in the right direction?

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Is the existing clip in bad condition? Why not reuse the clip but install it in the right direction?

When I pulled it appart this morning I found that the guy never press fit the link either and once I got the clip off I realized that it was stretched because it never seated in the groove on the chain. Plus like an idiot I bent the clip a bit getting it off

• tnl

Posted February 12, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Trash it like you are planning! Not pres fitting a link on cost me $1500.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Trash it like you are planning! Not pres fitting a link on cost me $1500.

Holy hell $1500 does not sound like fun. Thank you very much for the heads up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.