how well would this work together

4 replies to this topic
  • motox-quadracer42

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:35 PM

ok i have a 2001 honda 400EX with a 2002 XR650L motor it currently has a stage 1 hot cam in it but i have it all apart right now to replace some gears so i am putting new piston and rings in it as well i was looking at getting a 10.25:1 JE piston for it 102mm how do you all think this combo would be with the cam and piston? also what octane gas do you think i should run?

• martinfan30

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:45 PM

ok i have a 2001 honda 400EX with a 2002 XR650L motor it currently has a stage 1 hot cam in it but i have it all apart right now to replace some gears so i am putting new piston and rings in it as well i was looking at getting a 10.25:1 JE piston for it 102mm how do you all think this combo would be with the cam and piston? also what octane gas do you think i should run?

You def. will make good power. Just keep a good battery in for starting!

Definately run the highest octane from the pump, 91-92. I run 91(the highest I can find at the pump here in NV). You're just going to have to see if it detonates at all, under load, high heat, etc. May have to mix a little race fuel in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motox-quadracer42

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:04 PM

i was thinking of trying 93 octane first and then try it with 93 and an octane booster and that would make it right around 100 octane what are your thoughts on the octane booster

• martinfan30

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Octane booster is ok to a point. If too much is mixed in, in MY theory it can actually slow down or delay excessively the combustion process. Someone correct me if i'm wrong please.. Which is kinda what it is supposed to do. It is added to help eliminate detonation, or pre-ignition. Too much of the stuff will make the A/F charge ignite too late in the process.

• Denn10

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:37 PM

I would start highest pump gas you can get in your area and if that doesnt work go to a 25/75 mix with some quality race fuel. I would stay away from the octane boosters. Mixing 1 gal race fuel to 3/4 pump will cost no more and prolly give much better results. 10.25-1 shouldnt need more than 20/25% race fuel prolly.

Sounds like ALOT of fun i have an 02 400ex also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.