1995 Xr650L exhaust help!

16 replies to this topic
  • eyeofth3b3hold3r

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hey everyone, well I have a big pig and I really love it being just about stock, with my good gas mileage and realistically plenty of power for doing what I NEED(not want) but need to do. I want a better sound out of my muffler, I would enjoy it more, nothing super loud, but some kid rode by on a DRZ400 and he had a pipe on it and it just sounded MEAN, I miss that sound, plus it might help me get spotted on the road a little better. I really enjoy my gas mileage though and I understand when you pipe and rejet you lose this, so what should I do? thanks for your help everyone! And if anyone wants to go riding on their pigs in or around north ga let me know!

• martinfan30

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:39 PM

Several things can be done. I like the sound of both the WB e-series and e2 series cans. The e-series is a disc(supertrapp like)muffler and the e2 is a normal can with change out tips. Also you can just add the slipon muffler and then grind down the header welds in the head pipe. Just to open it up a bit. Or if you have lots of cash, go with the XR's only full system, or the one from Staintune(no sparky though).

Just do this WITH rejetting, airbox, air filter, smog removal mods. You will have an XRL with great power and sound.

• eyeofth3b3hold3r

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:44 PM

Does this do much to the gas mileage? i get between 45 and 50 miles per gallon now, but its also geared down, i plan on taking it back to stock, so maybe with regearing to stock, pipe(i need something cheap, i'd feel sick buying a $350 dollar slipon), jet kit, and airbox mods + filter(what filter? Uni? K&N?) i wonder what that would do to my mileage, what would happen if i left the jetting alone and stock filter set up but just added the muffler? Thanks for your help!

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 12, 2008 - 01:05 AM

I too have a 1995 PIG. It has somewhere over 60,000 miles on it.

These bike come super lean. Quiet. dependable.

After I bought it brand new, over a decade ago now, I installed a Supertrapp EAR.. Noisy. Gave it more top end. Gave it worse gas mileage.

I even purchased an over-sized exhaust header for it, which I never installed. I ended up selling that to radvocaat back in 2006.

After all is said and done, I went back to the stock exhaust system. Stock jetting. I love that it is quiet, I love that it gets great gas mileage.

I have the CR500R for blasting!!! :applause:

• martinfan30

Posted February 12, 2008 - 07:50 AM

Does this do much to the gas mileage? i get between 45 and 50 miles per gallon now, but its also geared down, i plan on taking it back to stock, so maybe with regearing to stock, pipe(i need something cheap, i'd feel sick buying a $350 dollar slipon), jet kit, and airbox mods + filter(what filter? Uni? K&N?) i wonder what that would do to my mileage, what would happen if i left the jetting alone and stock filter set up but just added the muffler? Thanks for your help!

Your MPG will go down because you will be in throttle more! I have, FCR 41 pumper carb., hotcam stage 1, header weld mod, E2 slip on, UNI pod filter and I get 40-44 when I ride conservatively. I goes down to 30-35 when I hammer it.

I wouldnt just do the jetting and exhaust w/o a foam air filter. They are cheap. Stay away from K&N, they let too much fine particulate in. I like UNI.

• Denn10

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:32 AM

I have a WB e series with the discs on my L and a WB E2 on a honda 400ex quad and like both. I had the disc series on my L when i bought it or i would have put a E2 on it, with the spark arrestor tip in they are a tad quiter and dont flow as well but make more power than stock and sound pretty good. I still run stock gearing since i use mainly for streets but id say if you put a slip-on to your L you would really need to open the airbox and install a UNI filter and rejet and you wouldnt lose but a few MPG. Its more in how you ride, with a good free flowing engine you can make more power but if you dont go crazy with the throttle you can keep you MPG up like stock. Its well worth it to do a little bit of mods for the fun factor once in a while to just crack the throttle from a stop sign and pull the front wheel thru the intersection.

• martinfan30

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Then get pulled over!:applause: I know...

• Denn10

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:01 AM

Then get pulled over!:applause: I know...

NO you have to be smart and NOT like martin and do it in front of CHP!! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CReffex

Posted February 12, 2008 - 05:51 PM

haha.. Nothing like shifting to 5th in a wheelie and hearing the state patrol siren pulling up beside you....

• jonr3

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:51 AM

I'm running the Pro Circuit T-4 which is pretty loud - maybe too loud for what you're looking for, but it does sound mean and people can hear me in traffic. I've done the DynoJet and airbox mods and I'm still getting close to 50 mpg commuting. Although like martinfan says, it's REALLY hard to stay off the throttle when you get all this extra power.:applause:

• Whiteman

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:52 PM

XRsOnly makes a very nice pipe and header system. I am happy with it and run the quite core insert. It is very loud without it.

• martinfan30

Posted February 14, 2008 - 01:04 PM

XRsOnly makes a very nice pipe and header system. I am happy with it and run the quite core insert. It is very loud without it.

Is a spark arrestor tip?

• Whiteman

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Yes, it has a removable spark arrester.

• Purcell69

Posted February 15, 2008 - 01:42 AM

I had a FMF Q series on my DR350SE with some mild mods to the airbox. I tried opeing up the top like most of the DR guys, but it was to loud for my liking. The FMF Q series has a nice sound and isn't too loud compared to some of the others. I found a Q2 for my XR650L for $287.99 as stated in another thread. As soon as I get the cash up, it is on order. FYI...with minor jetting changes, slight airbox mods and the FMF Q, the mpg on the DR went from 60 to 55 mpg.

-Joe

• Old Graybeard

Posted February 15, 2008 - 06:15 AM

FMFQ2 on my pig also. Friend has a WBE2 but runs it open. Way loud for me. At my age I don't need run ins with "The Man". Q2 with screen removed has enough of a growl for me without being obnoxious. OGB

• xrltim

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Look on Ebay for a silencer/slip on for any bike near your displacement. They aren't that different. Then, go with a K&N jet kit. If you jet it correctly, you won't be burning much if any more fuel at cruise speeds. You'll get more performance when you are on the gas and more efficiency when you are just cruising. I've experimented with my streetbike jetting and found that I get better economy with the bigger jetting as long as the pipe is accomodating. It's much easier with a single and K&N has a large database of what works with what pipe. They are very friendly and helpful on the phone also if you need help setting up. Remember, you are not on the main jet unless you are on the throttle 3/4 or more. Mid range/needle is everything.

• Itchykawa

Posted February 18, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hey everyone, well I have a big pig and I really love it being just about stock, with my good gas mileage and realistically plenty of power for doing what I NEED(not want) but need to do. I want a better sound out of my muffler, I would enjoy it more, nothing super loud, but some kid rode by on a DRZ400 and he had a pipe on it and it just sounded MEAN, I miss that sound, plus it might help me get spotted on the road a little better. I really enjoy my gas mileage though and I understand when you pipe and rejet you lose this, so what should I do? thanks for your help everyone! And if anyone wants to go riding on their pigs in or around north ga let me know!

Check out my thread "Maybe the ultimate cheap exhaust mod for XR650L". I made a stock pipe a great deal better without making it much louder for 13 bucks! Might be just what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.