02 yz426 seized, HELP

9 replies to this topic
  • chewy619

Posted February 11, 2008 - 02:42 PM

was just out rippin this afternoon and my 426 seized!!!! I thought before i started ripping into it, I'd ask everyone for there input on how theres seized and where, figured thered be a couple out there who had theres seize up and can tell me where to start, bike had oil in it btw.

• roofer dude

Posted February 11, 2008 - 03:41 PM

I have the same problem with my 03 yz450f, I also have oil in mine. Anything I should do before I open it up? Any help would be great. Thanks

• 642MX

Posted February 11, 2008 - 04:37 PM

was just out rippin this afternoon and my 426 seized!!!! I thought before i started ripping into it, I'd ask everyone for there input on how theres seized and where, figured thered be a couple out there who had theres seize up and can tell me where to start, bike had oil in it btw.

Its not real common to hear about them seizing, but more and more older bikes seem to be locking the big end bearing up on the crank. Unfortunately 4 strokes typically don't seize the top end like a smoker does. Usually its the crank.

You need to start by pulling the motor out of the bike and start peeling parts off of it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:03 PM

Yep, it's usually the rod.

• LSmith

Posted February 12, 2008 - 05:20 AM

Just happened on our '04 450. Lower rod bearing seized.
Parts list was as follows:
Crank Assembly
Crank Bearings
Crank Seals
Cylinder (When the rod siezed, it forced the piston into the cylinder wall)
Piston & Rings
Cam Chain
Cam Chain Guide
Gaskets

Parts total (no labor) was just a shade over $700 from Service Honda with shipping - and yes, they sell OEM Yamaha parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZERIK

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:53 AM

how deos this rod seize? not riding for long time??????????????

• 642MX

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:57 AM

how deos this rod seize? not riding for long time??????????????

The bearing just gives out from use. Nothing lasts forever.

• BASSic

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:31 AM

The bearing just gives out from use. Nothing lasts forever.

Even a Yamaha?

I haven't heard about too many YZ failures, though I know they're out there. I wonder how hard the ones that are failing have been pushed and how well they were maintained?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Even a Yamaha? ... I wonder how hard the ones that are failing have been pushed and how well they were maintained?

The newest 426 is now fully 6 years old, and most of them have never been apart in any major way for any reason. I don't think I've heard of this on anything other than a high hour bike, and not at all since they upgraded the rod bearing last in '04.

• 642MX

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Even a Yamaha?

I haven't heard about too many YZ failures, though I know they're out there. I wonder how hard the ones that are failing have been pushed and how well they were maintained?

I haven't had one fail. But, I have replaced my crank just as good preventative maintenance. My bike gets rode almost every weekend and sometimes we travel 4-5 hours to ride, so failure isn't an option.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.