2005 YZ450 Cornering?

9 replies to this topic
  • TahitianRed

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Do the 2005 and older YZ450F's corner better than the 2006-2008's?

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:53 AM

no...to topheavy

• torrmentor

Posted February 14, 2008 - 02:22 AM

No. I own a mint '05, and it takes some work to get them to rail. The biggest improvement I made was to go to an aftermarket link to get some weight on the front wheel. But box stock, I believe most would agree the newer chassis is a bit better than the last steel addition in terms of cornering.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:22 AM

a bit better is a understatement......the 06-08 is night and day better than the 03-05 in cornering/turning due to lower Center of Gravity COG and other factors

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:37 AM

a bit better is a understatement......the 06-08 is night and day better than the 03-05

Actually, "night and day" is even an understatement.

But I have seen guys going very, very fast on the steel YZ450's (only by railing corners). I have no idea how they do it, but it can be done. Doug Dubach's 15 World Titles were not all won on aluminum bikes, after all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 14, 2008 - 12:43 PM

Here is how that is done Grey......"close your eyes and just pin the throttle":p

• FLYIN400F

Posted February 14, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Yes, I agree, on the steel frames you had to be very agressive going in, any lazyness usualy ended in a lowside

• The Italian Stallion

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Yes, I agree, on the steel frames you had to be very agressive going in, any lazyness usualy ended in a lowside

I did not find this with the 426 though.The front end was glued to the track on that bike.What did they change when they went to the 450.Did they change the geometry that much? Ithink they went a little to far with centre of mass thing on the 06 and up bikes.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:20 PM

you had the only 426 that actually turned....or you just think it cornered good cause you havent ridden a zuki or a new yami

• The Italian Stallion

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:01 AM

you had the only 426 that actually turned....or you just think it cornered good cause you havent ridden a zuki or a new yami

I have ridden RMZs and yeah they corner great RMs always have.And if you look at my signature...I have heard only a few people say this about the 426.I have not read to many posts on "what triple clamps should I get for my 426' Ok the bike was a heavy pig and for smaller guys it might have been hard to toss around so I can see the argument there.But as a bigger guy I had no problems.When I updated to a04CRF450 it pushed and jacknifed all over the place in comparison.And my 06yami took some $ and research and set up to get to where it is good but not great in the turns.IMO the only issues with the 426 were wieght and a little cramped ergos and the engine brakeing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.