Remove header to change oil filter?

9 replies to this topic
  • sixoutoften

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I just got the Dr. D exhaust for my 2007 YZ450 and I love it. My only complaint is that it seems I have to take off the header to remove the oil filter cover. Is this really necessary? Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

• DPW

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Yes, that's what I have read.

Check this thread out, http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=586520 page 8

• sixoutoften

Posted February 11, 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.

• dirtriderr17

Posted February 11, 2008 - 03:40 PM

I always have to take the header pipe off, or slide it up to replace the oil filter. Its not that hard, i recommend getting some t-handle allen wrenches

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:45 PM

I loosen only the nut and haul it up a little with a tire iron 'til the bolt clears.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whyzee429

Posted February 12, 2008 - 05:43 PM

for an exhaust setup that gets such awesome reviews (especially on our 450s) moving the header to change the oil filter seems like a decent trade-off in my opinion

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:53 PM

Well, yes, but as I look at the header, it could so easily have been different. That's the thing that makes it a bit annoying to me.

• DPW

Posted February 13, 2008 - 05:31 AM

Does anyone know the reason for the low-boy header, is it performance related or I assume it's designed to work with Dubach's radiator lowering kit?

If it is performance related you'd think they would could have angled the bend upward kind of like a stock CRF450R header

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:09 AM

I assume it's designed to work with Dubach's radiator lowering kit?

That's the deal, right there. On the CRF, the intent was simply to give it a longer exhaust system without having the muffler extend beyond the fender.

But DRD could have, and maybe still will, in the future, made the header differently. By moving the bend that is above the clutch housing forward one inch, and then rotating the outer half of the first U bend upward slightly to meet it, it would clear the front pump cover bolt. It only needs an 1/8".

• Ga426owner

Posted February 13, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I just got the Dr. D exhaust for my 2007 YZ450 and I love it. My only complaint is that it seems I have to take off the header to remove the oil filter cover. Is this really necessary? Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

yep loosen the header nut and allenhead bolt....lift the header slightly - top oil filter bolt should slide out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.