Better than a Vapor computer?

19 replies to this topic
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:05 AM

Just got my DS XR650R and loving it! I want to upgrade my Baja Designs speedo/odometer to a computer. Everyone and their brother is telling me to get the Vapor model. The Vapor does look nice, but does anyone know of something more high end or more bullet proof out there? YES I have used the search function, but alot of the threads I've been reading are years old. I intend on purchasing the Vapor next week unless someone steers me a different direction. Speed, RPM, Temp, overall durability, and the response time for the speedo are the most important features to me. I have $400 to play with so I'm sure I can get something pretty nice, just want something high end that will last.

Input anyone?

• knuklehead

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:32 AM

ICO is bullet proof but wont do the rpm and temp

• Rockjockey

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:45 AM

+ 1 on the ICO I use the VRL model.

• Maroast

Posted February 11, 2008 - 10:06 AM

ICO is bullet proof but wont do the rpm and temp

I thought I needed the rpm on my vapor...but I never look at it anymore. You can listen and feel the motor just fine. As for the temp, the sensor stopped working, so i dont look at that anymore either.

overall, I haven't been too pleased with the quality of the vapor and wouldn't really recommend it. If you don't mind spending a little more money, go for the good sh*t!

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 11, 2008 - 12:24 PM

I thought I needed the rpm on my vapor...but I never look at it anymore. You can listen and feel the motor just fine. As for the temp, the sensor stopped working, so i dont look at that anymore either.

overall, I haven't been too pleased with the quality of the vapor and wouldn't really recommend it. If you don't mind spending a little more money, go for the good sh*t!

Don't mind spending the $$ at all, just not sure what to get! I could even break my $400 cap if there is really something out there that stands out above the rest. I would LOVE to have something like the vapor but with GPS capabilities as well, but I don't know of such a device that exists. Seems that if you want the best of both worlds, you have to run both.

More suggestions anyone?

• knuklehead

Posted February 11, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I run the VRL and a older Garmin gps, pretty much bomb proof.

• ej67ss

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:43 PM

I got the vapor and it works fine for me I really don't use the tach that much its hard to look at when I am hauling butt lol. but the speedo works great and the tach does too. I like the fact that if i crash and break it it is cheap to replace.. I put my temp sensor on like this..

http://i257.photobuc...ss/P1020059.jpg

http://i257.photobuc...ss/P1020056.jpg

• brad_cad

Posted February 12, 2008 - 04:33 AM

You might what to check out Electro Sport. They have Dual Sport Kits ect. ect, I have used some of their stators before and they are top notch. Anyway heres the link.

http://www.electrosport.com/

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 12, 2008 - 06:00 AM

What about the trail tech "Vector?" Seems to be the next update to trail tech's line (5th gen. where the Vapor is 4th). Anyone running one? No tach built in but that's my least needed feature of the Vapor IMO .

• abby

Posted February 12, 2008 - 06:30 AM

What about the trail tech "Vector?" Seems to be the next update to trail tech's line (5th gen. where the Vapor is 4th). Anyone running one? No tach built in but that's my least needed feature of the Vapor IMO .

I have a Vector, it's been working fine and I am happy with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emyhrer

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:29 AM

The WatchDog computer doesn't have the tach and temp measurements, but does have speed, distance, averages, lap times, etc, and also looks pretty durable:

Dugas Engineering - WatchDog

I haven't actually used this but was thinking about maybe getting one. Looks like it's currently on sale for their 10-year anniversary, BTW.

(Since you said temp and tach were important I wasn't going to post this, but figured maybe someone else may see the thread if they do a search later, so I figured I may as well anyway)

• Rockjockey

Posted February 12, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Not mine but this is a deal for the ICO Checkmate:
http://www.twtex.com...ead.php?t=24972

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 12, 2008 - 12:34 PM

The WatchDog computer doesn't have the tach and temp measurements, but does have speed, distance, averages, lap times, etc, and also looks pretty durable:

Dugas Engineering - WatchDog

I haven't actually used this but was thinking about maybe getting one. Looks like it's currently on sale for their 10-year anniversary, BTW.

(Since you said temp and tach were important I wasn't going to post this, but figured maybe someone else may see the thread if they do a search later, so I figured I may as well anyway)

After doing a little thinking I have come to realize that the tach feature is really not very important to me. The temp is a nice feature, but from what I have been reading it seems most the computers that offer temp sensors have reliability issues with the sensors themselves - so the temp has lost at least SOME of value to me.

After reading several posts one thing I should probably add is that I ride year round rain or shine, and as odd as it may seem to some of you I actually ENJOY going out during the nastiest of nasty storms and trying to find some traction. This being the case water resistance is extremely important to me with any model I choose.

Starting to lean towards an ICO unit or possibly even the watchdog over a Vapor. I didn't even know some of these models or brands existed before!

Please keep the suggestions and info coming guys! This will likely be a usefull post for many.

• Captain Midnight

Posted February 12, 2008 - 03:59 PM

I have a heads-up dispay I wear on my helmet. Speed and tach.

• Blacksamwell

Posted February 13, 2008 - 05:18 AM

Check out some of the CNC'd kit at Motogadget.

http://www.motogadge...n/frameset.html

• martinfan30

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:53 AM

I have a heads-up dispay I wear on my helmet. Speed and tach.

Thats cool. Do you have any pics or info on it?

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 13, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Anyone disgusted with the speedo response time on ANY of the big name computers? Personally I can't stand when you look down under hard acceleration and instead of seeing a smooth transition in speed (20MPH, 21MPH, 22MPH, 23MPH as you accelerate) the display "chops" up: 15MPH, 22MPH, 27MPH, 30MPH, 35MPH, 45MPH, 50MPH

Can't say I've ever had an enduro computer that actually was THAT bad, but it's very typical for bicycle speedos and I absolutely would not want that on and motorcycle!

• TheEvilNinja

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:19 PM

I'm just getting started on my XR650R and want to add a Vapor or equivalent. How easy are they to install. Not going to lie...electrical is my weak point when it comes to working on these beasts. I'll rip an engine apart in a sec, but for some reason am completely intimidated by anything electrical.

• Billahjack

Posted February 13, 2008 - 10:43 PM

I like the motogadgets and the electrosports. Is anyone running those?

I have a vapor that died. I think it was either the vibration or the water from washing the bike. LEDs started to go out and I broke the speedo pickup. It was installed per the directions but yet a rock or branch managed to get in there and take it out.

My previous 650r has an Endurance (also trailtech) that is also dying. It reads all the same number across the display, but they change. Sometimes it reports oddball info if it feels like displaying something else.

• Rockjockey

Posted February 14, 2008 - 04:57 AM

Anyone disgusted with the speedo response time on ANY of the big name computers? Personally I can't stand when you look down under hard acceleration and instead of seeing a smooth transition in speed (20MPH, 21MPH, 22MPH, 23MPH as you accelerate) the display "chops" up: 15MPH, 22MPH, 27MPH, 30MPH, 35MPH, 45MPH, 50MPH

Can't say I've ever had an enduro computer that actually was THAT bad, but it's very typical for bicycle speedos and I absolutely would not want that on and motorcycle!

I run two different ICO computers on my two bikes and have experienced none of the above described issues. They must be dead on for enduro use as when coming into a tie breaker check you must be right in the middle of your minute for optimal score. I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS on the 650L as well as the ICO VRL and they both display the same speed over the road with no jumping around at all. I think you get what you pay for in a computer for your bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.