Need advice on replacing 650R rear spoke

5 replies to this topic
  • RdrMtn

Posted February 10, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I have a broken spoke. The hub end of the spoke is so wide that I cannot get it out because it hits the spoke in front of it. Even if I loosen adjacent spokes to try to get more wiggle room, I still can't get the broken spoke out. :applause::) Is there a trick to doing this?

• Billahjack

Posted February 10, 2008 - 04:41 PM

If you are handy with bike work, buy some buchanon spokes and relace the entire thing. Use a bolt cutter to cut all the spokes and save some time. If you want to go cheap, you may have to take out another spoke depending upon which one broke. They are tricky, you have to turn (rotate) them and wiggle them around. The hub ends are bent.

• knuklehead

Posted February 10, 2008 - 07:46 PM

some time's you have to on do the spoke your try to get by, pull the nipple off and move it out of the way, replace the broken one than redo the other. Hope this makes sense.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted February 11, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Years back you could slightly bend a spoke to get it in a tight spot.Iv'e noticed modern bikes like the crf 450,spokes are real brittle and if you bend them they crack real easy.Buy two spokes bend one to see how much it can take.Then if NEED BE you can slightly bend the other to get it in.

Note: I don't recomend doing this unless you really don't want to un-lace the rim!!!

• RdrMtn

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:59 AM

I just want to replace the one spoke as painlessly as possible. I guess that means I need to unlace one side of the rim.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 11, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Can you get the spoke out enough to cut off the mushroomed end? If you can, the spoke will come right out. Wiggle a new one in and tap it in the rest of the way with a punch, I live close to Baja. Then tighten the spoke up. I used to break em on the sprocket side all the time, seems like I relaced one or two with every tire change. Good luck!

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.