need key ignition

16 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 10, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Hi.

My 07 is getting plated and will be used on the street. However, there is no way i can leave my bike on the street due to the simple push on / push off ignition switch. I need to swap the push / pull ignition switch for a 'keyed' unit. I need to bin the stock ignition and fit a key controlled job.

Has anyone done this?

Any tips / help very much appreciated.

Thanks

gavin.

• clark4131

Posted February 10, 2008 - 12:52 PM

From the FAQ sticky...

Q: I want to add a keyed ignition switch to my WR. How do I do that?
A: Those members who've wanted that extra bit of security have had success using the keyed ignition switch from a TTR. Peruse Yamaha's parts fiche to order one up and then cut and splice.

:applause:...SC

• tweav

Posted February 10, 2008 - 01:18 PM

I got a switch from a blaster on my 07 wr 450 . it required me to solder wires on the other two contacts to make it work right . but that was no big deal I was only 22 bucks it was much cheaper then ttr one. you can see it right behind the bolt that holds the head lght on.

Posted Image

• bmoore345

Posted February 10, 2008 - 09:52 PM

I have a Baja Design key switch it works great and came pre-wired for simple plug in.

• snaggletooth

Posted February 11, 2008 - 12:53 PM

I got this key switch for my 07 WR450F from CyclePro. It was only a few bucks and bolted on like it was factory made for the WR. I wired it to the kill switch. It bolted right up to the sub frame bolt and need no modification. Super easy mod! I love it but I still carry a cable lock for most stops.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 11, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thanks very much guys. The plug and play unit sounds about right. I would probably set my bike alight if i tried anything to complicated.

I have a Baja Design key switch it works great and came pre-wired for simple plug in.

Any chance of a link mate, i've searched baja designs and googled for info on this kit but have had no luck.

many thanks.

gavin.

• bmoore345

Posted February 11, 2008 - 05:41 PM

https://www.bajadesi...category=MCYCLE

Here you go.

• greg426f

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:52 AM

what color are the wires from the kill switch? i have the baja designs kit, one green wire and one gray/black... can any one help?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:58 AM

I got this key switch for my 07 WR450F from CyclePro. It was only a few bucks and bolted on like it was factory made for the WR. I wired it to the kill switch. It bolted right up to the sub frame bolt and need no modification. Super easy mod! I love it but I still carry a cable lock for most stops.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That appears to be the same one baja designs sells. I have one on my bike wired to the kill switch also but my bike is an 02 so no e-start. IMO the one from a TTR would be better for bikes with the magic button.

• tweav

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:03 AM

what color are the wires from the kill switch? i have the baja designs kit, one green wire and one gray/black... can any one help?

first off what year bike do you have ? and how old is the baja designs kit . if your bike has a on button I would replace that with the key . and baja designs changed their wiring a few years ago.

http://www.bajadesig...kickstarts).pdf

if your switch is like this you have the newer setup

http://www.bajadesig...NFIGURATION.pdf

• dirtysouth

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Like this setup...looked for cycle pro with no luck...is that a TT member?

• 1trackmind

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:21 AM

I've tried to find "Cyclepro" also...no luck. I like that set up also and want it..

• CORider63

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:35 AM

http://www.thumperta...ht=Ignition Key

• CORider63

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:40 AM

...and some diagrams:

Attached Files

• cbrandt

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:56 AM

:smirk: :) :ride:

Thanks, THat is great stuff

• greg426f

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:41 PM

http://www.oemcycle....em/product/3197

sorry i wasn't too clear on the info i was looking for, i have that key kit and i have a k and s handlebar control w/ kill switch, where do the wires from the key kill switch connect to on the bike or handle bar control? wire colors maybe??

• strych9

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:39 PM

im putting a toggle switch for the kill function in my bike, going to just hide it somewhere on the bike. it seems like those key solutions are easily bypassible. especially if it is wired to kill. wouldnt you just have to cut 1 wire off the key switch to bypass? or cut both wires and put them together? i just think not giving someone a chance to find the kill. plus a small chain and lock is a must anyway. you could toss the bike in a truck in seconds anyway.
just my 2 cents

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.