First valve check, some questions

4 replies to this topic
  • nfoley

Posted February 10, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Did my first valve check on 03 WR450.
Not sure if I am missing something but I only checked one intake and one exhaust - could not see how you could check 5 valves.
They were both in spec, on the tight side.
How do you check the other 3 valves??
Used the manual, everything seemed straight forward.
thanks in advance, nils

• dirtysouth

Posted February 10, 2008 - 08:25 AM

Did my first valve check on 03 WR450.
Not sure if I am missing something but I only checked one intake and one exhaust - could not see how you could check 5 valves.
They were both in spec, on the tight side.
How do you check the other 3 valves??
Used the manual, everything seemed straight forward.
thanks in advance, nils

Check em just like you checked the others. Just takes some diligence since its kinda tight in there. Pull the tank if you haven't already so that you can get to em. As a sidenote...don't let your ears fool you after you put it back together. You will probably start hearing all the stuff you never heard before as your ear will be tuned into EVERYTHING:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nfoley

Posted February 10, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Got the tank and everything off per the manual. But the pics in the manual show measuring distance under the cam lobes. Where are the other valves?
Are they more toward the timing chain? I don't think I need to do more disassembling to check them, according to the manual. thanks

• brad the best

Posted February 10, 2008 - 05:49 PM

measure under both cams ,there are 3 lobes on the front cam(intake) and 2 on the back cam(exhaust)

• matt4x4

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Here's a pic of the intake cam, exhaust is the same except only has 2 lobes:

Posted Image

Basically, I measure from the inside (center) since it's the easiest to get access from - you'll see little gaps between the cam bearings, this is where you slide your feeler into, it's actually quite easy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.