excel rims

4 replies to this topic
  • FLYIN400F

Posted February 10, 2008 - 05:57 AM

I want to replace my 19 in rear wheel with an 18 for off road racing this year on my 07 yz450. I decided to go with black excel taskago rims front and rear, now some retailers are claiming i must use excel spoke kits, I question this since my bike comes stock with these taskago rims, now I realize I need to get a new spoke kit for the 18 in swap and was planning on using a WR spoke set of the same year. Has anybody been down this road??

• nickeenoo

Posted February 10, 2008 - 06:18 AM

I can't see why you'd need a new spoke kit (other than the 18" rear) as long as the spokes look good. I dented the front Excel rim on my WR and replaced the rim with a DID from my buddies KX. The spokes worked just fine. I just held both rims together and made sure the holes for the spokes lined up.

Nate

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2008 - 01:21 PM

I want to replace my 19 in rear wheel with an 18 for off road racing this year on my 07 yz450. I decided to go with black excel taskago rims front and rear, now some retailers are claiming i must use excel spoke kits, I question this since my bike comes stock with these taskago rims, now I realize I need to get a new spoke kit for the 18 in swap and was planning on using a WR spoke set of the same year. Has anybody been down this road??

You will obviously need new spokes because of the size change. Excel spoke nipples have a different head contour and radius, and in in order for the assembled wheel to be as strong as it should, and retain tension well, you have to use Excel spokes with Excel rims.

• FLYIN400F

Posted February 10, 2008 - 06:03 PM

well then my stock spokes must be excel?

• surfersean1982

Posted February 10, 2008 - 07:06 PM

well then my stock spokes must be excel?

Correct, except the spokes of your 07 yz 450 will be too long for an 18 inch excel rim. You are correct in that the WR also uses excel rims so if you use OEM WR spokes you'll be fine. I would think buying from OEM will be a little more expensive and it's the same quality product because excel is an oem distributor for Yamaha as you obviously know since you have a YZ. Just make sure you order the spokes for an 18 inch rim and you'll be straight.:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.