Trouble starting...

7 replies to this topic
  • soco3594

Posted February 09, 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys Ive had my wr426 for a couple of weeks now and I just gave it an oil change, cleaned the air filter and filled it up with premium unleaded (ive been running on ordinary unleaded). After I changed the oil I took it for a ride and all was good. The next morning I cleaned the filter and filled it with fuel and it refuses to start. Initially I though there must be too too much liquid in the filter element so I checked that but it still doesn't even look like starting. Any advice?

• soco3594

Posted February 09, 2008 - 10:45 PM

Also I tried checking the spark plug but an hour later once I had the bike apart I realised there must be a special tool to get the bloody thing out since Yamaha did their best to hide it. Better go see the dealer tomorrow and get one...

• dirtysouth

Posted February 10, 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hey guys Ive had my wr426 for a couple of weeks now and I just gave it an oil change, cleaned the air filter and filled it up with premium unleaded (ive been running on ordinary unleaded). After I changed the oil I took it for a ride and all was good. The next morning I cleaned the filter and filled it with fuel and it refuses to start. Initially I though there must be too too much liquid in the filter element so I checked that but it still doesn't even look like starting. Any advice?

Not a bunch of info to go on but one possibility (and this is abstract) is that maybe the carb slipped off of the boot that links it to the head if the plug doesn't get youback up. Im no expert but I would always run premium if I were you given the high compression. Factory recommends 95 octane on my 05 I think, so premium is close cuttins.

• soco3594

Posted February 10, 2008 - 02:30 PM

yeah righto cheers. Its just hard to pinpoint whats wrong because I havent touched the carb or changed anything and it started first kick the day before... I guess Ill just have to go over everything

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted February 10, 2008 - 05:53 PM

pull out the spark plug and check for spark , you need a 5/8" spark plug socket .

• soco3594

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:13 PM

yeah turned out it was just a dead spark plug. Only problem was it took me a day to design a tool to get it out since I dont have the one u get from the dealer when you buy the bike. Then it took a day to order in a new plug but now once I got it in it fired first kick. I find it runs alot better on premium unleaded too so Im going to pay the extra 5 bucks from now on

• brad the best

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:44 PM

ya never run it on anything less then premium . to take out the spark plug all you need is a spark plug socket and a extension , a universal joint makes it easier and a ratchet .

didn't know there was a special tool .

thats good you got it figured out .

• matt4x4

Posted February 12, 2008 - 05:30 AM

Yes, the sparkplug wrench and universal will get you right to the top of the head cover, then a short or long extension and it's out.
I ended up picking up the tool from Yamaha, it's in my trail kit because it's small and light, it protrudes just past the top of the head and all you need is an adjustable or 12mm? to turn it.
Also, the top portion of the tool will work to remove your seat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.