thinking of HRC kit 650R

5 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted February 09, 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hey guys been thinking about freshening up the big porccono with a new piston and cam and do the head while im in there.I have ridden my friend s bike with the kit in it and I love it, but it is pretty damn $$ since I am rebuilding my MXer also this winter.I have heard that the bike has more top end power with the stock piston [I have abrand new stock piston and rings in the box] I am trying to deside if I should just get a new cam and put the new stock piston in it or will I regret not putting the high comp piston in it.Opions gentelmen?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 09, 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys been thinking about freshening up the big porccono with a new piston and cam and do the head while im in there.I have ridden my friend s bike with the kit in it and I love it, but it is pretty damn $$ since I am rebuilding my MXer also this winter.I have heard that the bike has more top end power with the stock piston [I have abrand new stock piston and rings in the box] I am trying to deside if I should just get a new cam and put the new stock piston in it or will I regret not putting the high comp piston in it.Opions gentelmen?

The Hi-comp piston does wake the motor up even more, with snappier power, and faster reving. It also makes it harder to start, even more suseptable to detonation, and overheating (going slow).

So, IMHO, adding a Hi comp piston will only make one thing better, and several other things worse. Unless you deal with those things too.............

• weskc35k

Posted February 10, 2008 - 01:44 AM

I do not concurr with my learned friend.
I would put a high comp piston in it as it's a hoot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted February 10, 2008 - 06:26 AM

Thanks guys If I didn't already have a new stock piston and rings I wouldn't even think about it.I Know There are other kits available besides the HRC but are they any cheaper? And what is the best one to get? And are they as good as the HRC?If there is only a differance of a few hundred $......Also I don't know if this is B.S or not but I heard that you can't get new crank bearings,ou have to buy the whole crank? is this true?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 10, 2008 - 07:26 AM

The HRC cam is only equal to a stage 1 Cam if im right....so you could buy the piston of your choice, then buy a stage 2 cam, and come out under $1,000.

Another thing to consider when doing a piston is Gas.

• weskc35k

Posted February 10, 2008 - 11:42 PM

The HRC cam has more lift and duration than a stage 1 but not much and less lift and duration than the stage 2.
If you already have a new piston in it deck the head a few thou.
Don't know about the crank thing though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.