650L rear fender extender?

8 replies to this topic
  • tgstoken

Posted February 09, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hi guys. My 650L has a little problem with throwing all the mud/water that I ride on right up my back/neck/helmet. I am using the stock rear fender and a lo profile XR style tail light. Is there any product that can extend my fender rearward or bolt on under the stock fender and give me some protection? I am very tired of having a soaking wet, muddy back from every winter ride.

• martinfan30

Posted February 09, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi guys. My 650L has a little problem with throwing all the mud/water that I ride on right up my back/neck/helmet. I am using the stock rear fender and a lo profile XR style tail light. Is there any product that can extend my fender rearward or bolt on and give me some protection? I am very tired of having a soaking wet, muddy back from every winter ride.

I think the stock tail fender has the best "roost" protection. My CRF 450 rear fender does a pretty good job also. Its just one of those things, its going to happen!

If there is a better solution, I'd like to know also.

• Norge

Posted February 09, 2008 - 08:16 PM

We don't get as much rain as you do in Washington, but this mod helped with the occasional water crossings in NM. Its a MX fender for an XR600 and the Acerbis tail light is located so that the plate holder stops the mud/water from hitting my back.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted February 10, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Thats a nice setup Norge.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tgstoken

Posted February 10, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I am thinking I may just end up hacking up a XR100 or XR80 fender and bolting it on directly underneath the stock fender. I dont want any extra lights or anything. I understand the plate holder idea, but for my type of riding (tight woods) it would get ripped off by a stick or limb.

• Norge

Posted February 10, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I am thinking I may just end up hacking up a XR100 or XR80 fender and bolting it on directly underneath the stock fender. I dont want any extra lights or anything. I understand the plate holder idea, but for my type of riding (tight woods) it would get ripped off by a stick or limb.

Yea, I thought about the plate holder being torn off so I added a nylon machine bolt under the tail light and thru the fender.

Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted February 11, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Here is what I am adding on my XR600: Rear CR fender (used Acerbis 7.00/ebay), and a new Acerbis Taillight/extender (new 9.95 Ebay)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted February 11, 2008 - 12:01 PM

Dont loop out with that on there! It'll rip your bike in two!LOL!

• Kyron

Posted February 11, 2008 - 01:27 PM

I bet most of the mud is comming past the sides of the fender .......

what about getting some plastic and making the fender wider?
Plastic from a antifreeze bottle or somthing and screw it to the fender?

I remember they (ah-chair-of-bee's) use to make fender extensions for the front fenders

I use to take old conveyor belt and make front fenders for MTB's by zip tieng it to the down tube of the frame.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.