Desert racing tire source & combo

11 replies to this topic
  • FastRides

Posted February 09, 2008 - 11:43 AM

WR dudes - looking for your feedback. What follows is a post I just replied to in a thread in the Off Road Riding Forum called "Desert Tires". It's old info, so I'm looking for an update on the issues listed below: 1. best source to buy tires and 2. best desert racing combo for the money. Thanks fellas.

I've been watching these tire threads for a while and would like opinions on desert racing tire combo's specifically. After doing a lot of reading with the search engine, this is the closest thread I could find to what info I'm looking for. That said, it's obviously old and I'd like some updated opinions based on those out there with more experience since then in desert conditions / racing.

MotoSport on line seems to have the best rates on tires (if there is a better source, I'd like to hear about that too). While I'd like to make my racing budget go as far as possible, I won't sweat the 10-15 bucks to get a cheap combo if they're not going to perform.

I'm currently racing with a Dunlop 755F up front and a Maxis IT on the rear. This has been a pretty solid combo, but I'd like to consider other options (except the Dunlop rear b/c they simply don't hold up in Nevada). I have heard good things about the Kenda Carlsbad for the rear, but bad about the front. Has anyone tried a Washougal up front? The tread pattern appears similar to a D755/756, but is cheaper. MotoSport is running a Kenda combo for $95, which is pretty good if the tires work well. I know Dwight is a big fan of the MT-16 combo or Scorpion Pro up front, but I haven't heard how well these hold up in the desert.

Thanks for any feedback and happy racing this season! :busted:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 09, 2008 - 12:10 PM

My source is my sponsor because it's the best deal for me...

The Maxxis IT rear in my opinion can't be beat for it's resistance to flats, longevity and overall traction performance in 90% of the conditions you see, even outside of desert racing it does OK but I typically only run it in the desert.

I have been using the Maxxis SI up front for the Desert and I think it's "good" based on it's resistance to flats, stiffer sidewall than most intermediate tires and the traction is OK.

The Maxxis IT Front is a big POS :busted:

• ncmountainman

Posted February 09, 2008 - 01:46 PM

My source is my sponsor because it's the best deal for me...

The Maxxis IT rear in my opinion can't be beat for it's resistance to flats, longevity and overall traction performance in 90% of the conditions you see, even outside of desert racing it does OK but I typically only run it in the desert.

I have been using the Maxxis SI up front for the Desert and I think it's "good" based on it's resistance to flats, stiffer sidewall than most intermediate tires and the traction is OK.

The Maxxis IT Front is a big POS :busted:

i agree with the IT rr and they offer it in a desert version also,it sucks for eastern stuff but good out there from what i hear;the IT frnt is one of the worst tires i've ever run besides the stocker 739's (not to be confused with the ones you buy) i really don't see the SI frnt as a viable high spd desert tire...it works well in the east but i couldn't run it because of its
inability to take a hit(right to the rim on rocks) and chunking side knobs:excuseme: a good desert tire in my opinion that i've used in high speed desert "like" conditions (i've never actually been to a desert) is the bridgestone ED77 tough as nails in rocks and sand and is the most stable tire on high speed gravel i've ever used. oh and its 6 ply also:thumbsup: i believe it even has some wins at dakar:worthy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 09, 2008 - 05:19 PM

i agree with the IT rr and they offer it in a desert version also,

I thought all IT's were "Desert IT's" :cry:

Yes my IT rear says "Desert IT" on the side wall...

I have not had a an ounce of trouble with the SI in the front but I only ride desert terrain maybe 3 weeks out of the year other than that it's S-12's for our Western WA riding :applause:

I'm gonna check out that Bridgestone as I will be a week in the Desert come first part of April :)

• rbn14

Posted February 09, 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure where in Nevada you are from but myself, Jeff S. and Stecknine all race desert out of reno. A lot of the guys up here run a 755 up-front (including myself) or the Maxxis IT. I know the Steckline bros. swear by some IRC front, maybe one will chime in. In the rear I really like a few different tires but in general I run the Dunlop 739 Desert AT. I absolutely hate the 739 but the Desert version is actually really good. A lot of people up hear run the Maxxis IT rear also. I have run it at it is a good tire and I have run it on many occasions. I feel the carcass of the Dunlop is better than the Maxxis. There is a Desert version of the IT, basically it just has a stiffer carcass to resist pinch flats and I think the knobs are a little taller for sand. If you ride a lot of sand the IRC MB5 rear is awesome and wont chunk like an S12 in the rocks but it will slide a lot on really hard pack stuff lick well used roads.
As far as who to buy from, I always encourage people to support their local shops even if you have to spend a couple more bucks. If you are in Reno go to RMS!!!! If you happen to have a 19" the Michelin MH3 is good.

• WR450RICKO

Posted February 10, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Maxxis Desert IT rear
Pirelli MXMH Scorpion front
Raced in the mud and rain - stuck like glue

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 10, 2008 - 03:24 PM

like everyone else has said:

REAR:Maxxis Desert IT (120/100) with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes and Slime

FRONT: Maxxis Desert IT Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes and Slime

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:50 AM

Rear: Dunlop desert A/T or Maxxis desert A/T
Front: Dunlop 755 or IRC Vulcanenduro VE35F :applause: Jeff S

• ncmountainman

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I thought all IT's were "Desert IT's" :cry:

Yes my IT rear says "Desert IT" on the side wall...

I have not had a an ounce of trouble with the SI in the front but I only ride desert terrain maybe 3 weeks out of the year other than that it's S-12's for our Western WA riding :applause:

I'm gonna check out that Bridgestone as I will be a week in the Desert come first part of April :)

the desert IT is a tougher compound and pretty sure a tougher sidewall,but there are 2 versions;desert and regular:thumbsup: you'll love that ED77,it feels very neutral at low speeds (almost vague) but when the speeds pickup your not gonna believe how well it acts:crazy:

• TheBlackSheep

Posted February 11, 2008 - 01:57 PM

I run a Maxxis Desert IT in the rear and a Michellin S12 up front. After experimenting with different tires for about a year, I love this set up. I ride mostly hard, rocky trails and these grip and wear well.

........... bahhh :applause:

• Wiz636

Posted February 11, 2008 - 02:54 PM

When searching for a good tough front tire a while back I searched in the Baja forum and several guys were running the Pirelli MT-18 with good results. I bought one and have only used it a couple times but it handled very well and seems to be a very well constructed tough tire. It even says 'heavy duty' on the side.

• kirkw

Posted February 11, 2008 - 03:48 PM

Desert IT (regular IT seemed to wear faster) in the rear 120/100 is a no brainer. I ran a Mich Endurocross in the front (similar to a s12 trewad pattern, but stiffer sidewalls and a bit shorter knobs). Switched to a SI and I think I like the Mich better, but not by much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.