Motor seized!

2 replies to this topic
  • WTR

Posted April 16, 2002 - 07:35 AM

Help guys! Need advice. Was riding the desert 100 in vantage washington over the weekend and my 01 wr400f made a horrible metal screech and then locked up. The weird thing here is that the next day it broke loose and fired up. Any ideas to this one? I realize I should tear it down but wanted some help in cause. Oil and water were good and clean. 1200 total miles on motor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamracing

Posted April 16, 2002 - 08:24 AM

It sounds like the piston got too big for the cylinder, and locked up! Then, when it cooled down, it got "unstuck". I would check the piston, cylinder, the coolant (does it smell burnt?) and cooling system (water pump). You'll probably need rings, and a quick hone to the cylinder.

• RuffRider

Posted April 17, 2002 - 07:03 AM

I'll buy your motor if you decide on a new one HAHAHA

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.