Idle overrun after hard riding???

5 replies to this topic
  • Kylelind

Posted February 08, 2008 - 03:49 PM

So, went riding for the first time on my 2000 426 yesterday and had a little problem with the idle staying high after getting off the gas. Like after doing a hill climb I would let off the gas at the top and it would idle much higher and not decelerate very well. I just jetted it a little richer and have not messed with the fuel screw. Could that be the answer if it were out too far? The bike idles fine after a minute of higher idle and starts easy.

• gbalias

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:27 PM

how far out on the fuel screw?

i had this problem last week and found that my fuel screw had worked its way out a lil bit.

• William1

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:48 PM

A hanging idle is often a sign of a too lean pilot circuit. Assuming you did the fuel screw/pilot test and the adjustment is correct, try opening the fuel screw 1/2 turn.

My WR ran fine with the screw at 1 turn, but the idle hung from time to time. Did a A/F check and found it needed (wanted??) to be closer to 3 turns to be the right ratio. Hanging idle, decel popping disappeared!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2008 - 05:03 PM

It can also indicate insufficient intake valve clearance.

• William1

Posted February 08, 2008 - 06:20 PM

Good point, Gray. I failed to notice the age of the bike. Questions, questions.... :busted:

• Kylelind

Posted February 08, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I have not done the test yet but will tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help and keep it coming if there are any more suggestions.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.