Front head light.

16 replies to this topic
  • suzukipoo

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:01 AM

Hi there guys i need some help!
My 07 wr450f front head light needs some better brightness so i connected the high beam together with the std setup on the low beam.
Will the extra current hold up cause the thin wire (low beam +) will feed both the high and low beam at the same time? It went from 2.6 amps to 5.5 amps,:worthy: the globe and lens gets pretty hot! Can i use it like this or should i install a small toggle switch for high/low/together or off?
Thanks for any advice!!!:busted:

• tweav

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:50 AM

on the 07 I would be more worried about toasting the front half of your stator. I think the whole stator only puts out 100 watts for both coils total and your pulling 70 from the front coil. You should just do the baja designs stator rewiring job . I did ,it works great . then I just wired my light from the battery . now it much brighter. I also got a 50 watt bulb from a guy on e-bay

• suzukipoo

Posted February 08, 2008 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the advice, don`t relay want to buy the kit just for a little better light think i will just insert a toggle switch to select between high and low beams!

• tweav

Posted February 08, 2008 - 02:18 AM

you can do that but the stock high beam is worst then the low beam . the kit is only 40 bucks how cheap are you ?

• suzukipoo

Posted February 08, 2008 - 02:39 AM

I can`t get it here in "shitty" sa need to import it and they charge you alot for postage and then i need to pay tax and custom duty. A package the size of helmet cost me like $150 just for the transportation!!!!!!! The ZAR is worth nothing!!!!

• boscoe

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:11 PM

But I'll bet you have some good riding areas eh!

• tweav

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:47 PM

I wonder if you can get a heavier rectifier there somewhere. because I can show you how to rewire your stator. heck I have a extra rectifier laying here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• William1

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:36 PM

You can't simply mod the stator and replace the rectifier with a higher capacity one.

The WR has two distinct electrical circuits. A DC one, charges the battery, runs the tail light. The other (AC) powers the headlight. The stator outputs two AC voltages. One goes directly to the headlight (hence it getting brighter as the engine revs as there is no battery to 'level' the load) the other goes to the rectifier and is converted in DC.

When you do the stator mod, you are combining the two AC portions and adding it to the rectifer side to be converted into DC. After this mod, when your headlight is plugged in, it will not light as the AC portion of the electrical system is no longer available. You would need to rewire things to have it on the DC side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted February 08, 2008 - 06:51 PM

You can't simply mod the stator and replace the rectifier with a higher capacity one.

The WR has two distinct electrical circuits. A DC one, charges the battery, runs the tail light. The other (AC) powers the headlight. The stator outputs two AC voltages. One goes directly to the headlight (hence it getting brighter as the engine revs as there is no battery to 'level' the load) the other goes to the rectifier and is converted in DC.

When you do the stator mod, you are combining the two AC portions and adding it to the rectifer side to be converted into DC. After this mod, when your headlight is plugged in, it will not light as the AC portion of the electrical system is no longer available. You would need to rewire things to have it on the DC side.

that is what I did to mine. I did rewired the light , but it only needs 1 wire . what is good about running a new headlight hot wire is you don't have to run a cheap 18 awg wire I ran a 14 awg wire . I also wired up all kinds of other poo while I was there .and I ran it all thru a 40 amp relay switched with my key

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:23 PM

i dont know if you have a radio shack there
but i bought an ac to dc converter from radio shack it was 4 dollars
i had a wr400f ( no battery!)
in order for me to make mine street legal it needed a batter
so thats how i did it if you or anyone is intersted how do a search on ac to dc for wr400

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:31 PM

Re: dual sporting a 2000 wr400f

I have been running this system since january or so on my xr no problems whatsoever runs off of a 25 amp rectifier i picked up for $4.95 at radioshack and 10 aa rechargeable batteries i picked up at a dollar store 1.2 v each. The signal lights should be wired as shown here[IMG]

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:32 PM

SORRY THAT DIDNT WORK OUT LIKE I PLANNED!
here is the link it gets helpful at the bottom off page 2 then read onto 3
http://www.thumperta...t=295591&page=2

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:45 PM

ok this if it helps is the part number for the radioshack rectifire
(yes my spelling stinks)
and also the the link to the sight to do the search
http://www.radioshac....tId=2062584
part number is #276-1185
"

• William1

Posted February 09, 2008 - 03:26 AM

that is what I did to mine. I did rewired the light , but it only needs 1 wire . what is good about running a new headlight hot wire is you don't have to run a cheap 18 awg wire I ran a 14 awg wire . I also wired up all kinds of other poo while I was there .and I ran it all thru a 40 amp relay switched with my key

Nice you upgraded the wire and put in the relay. Although, you ought to upgrade the ground too, weakest link you know. :busted:

• tweav

Posted February 09, 2008 - 04:06 AM

I made a whole 14 awg Lighting harness with two grounds . 1 for the headlight only . all wires soldered all the ends are soldered . Everything is heat shinked . it's all overkill and not tied to the stock harness at all . My wr450 is street legal so top notch lighting is a must.

• William1

Posted February 09, 2008 - 04:55 AM

I made a whole 14 awg Lighting harness with two grounds . 1 for the headlight only . all wires soldered all the ends are soldered . Everything is heat shinked . it's all overkill and not tied to the stock harness at all . My wr450 is street legal so top notch lighting is a must.

LOL, in my book, there is no such thing as ovekill. What many consider overkill is what I consider id doing the job right. :busted:

• CORider63

Posted February 09, 2008 - 07:25 AM

Something else to consider: I once connected the high and low beams together on my street bike. The extra current melted the ground lead INSIDE of the bulb, thus "burning out" both the high and low beam.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.