Gas Tank

10 replies to this topic
  • dirtriderr17

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:30 PM

I was recently trying to put on my new plastics my sponsors have sent me, but when i try to take off my radiator shroud the insert in my gas tank spins while i try to take out the bolt. Therefore i cannot remove the bolt. If anyone knows how to take out the bolt without having to buy a new gas tank it would really help and save me about $250. Its a 2007 yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:55 PM

This has come up before: (read both whole threads, good info)

http://www.thumperta...879#post4728879

http://www.thumperta...772#post4678772

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:11 AM

When you do get it out, make sure to put a dab of anti-seize (not grease) on the new bolts when re-assembling your ride. It will prevent this from happening again.

• mcnaughb

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:42 AM

Just curious...why not a dab of grease?

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:49 PM

Just curious...why not a dab of grease?

Anti-seize (AS) is designed to provide a protective film against galling and seizure from galvanic corrosion caused by two dissimilar metals being in contact with each other (steel bolt and the brass nut embedded in the plastic of the tank). AS prevents galvanic corrosion by sacrificing the metals in the anti-seize in preference to the metal parts under protection. Use on threaded fasteners will prevent rust and seizing.

A little high-temp AS on the threads of your sparkplug will make it easy to get out, and will protect the threads in your head against galling. A dab on the header bolts will allow you to remove the exhaust pipe without potentially breaking a bolt (of course only if they were installed with AS in the first place).

A very small amount of AS goes a long way. I bought a 10 oz can with an applicator brush years ago, and still have a lot. Never had a problem with a frozen nut or bolt that I assembled with AS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtriderr17

Posted February 08, 2008 - 05:42 PM

No the shroud is bolted to the gas tank with the insert spinning, the bolt is definitely not stripped and yes i am willing to tear up that shroud if necessary because i plan on buying the PowerFlow Radiator shrouds from Cycra plastics

• todds924

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:11 PM

No the shroud is bolted to the gas tank with the insert spinning, the bolt is definitely not stripped and yes i am willing to tear up that shroud if necessary because i plan on buying the PowerFlow Radiator shrouds from Cycra plastics

You will need to pop the shroud over the bolt. Then you will be ablr to remove it. This is fairly common.

• dirtriderr17

Posted February 08, 2008 - 09:30 PM

I have taken off the shroud and tried to pick the plastic around the insert to try and pop it out but still is super hard, so now i have a hole in my shroud at the rear where it mounts up to the gas tank but if i keep picking at the insert and finally pop it out will it put a hole in my gas tank? because if it doesnt then i will put the insert back in the tank with some JB weld and hope it holds up.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2008 - 09:01 AM

You'll have the most luck spinning the insert out as was gone over in the first thread I linked to. This will leave an empty pocket in the tank, a blind hole, into which the insert can be reinserted once the bolt is removed and the threads cleaned up.

• dirtriderr17

Posted February 09, 2008 - 02:46 PM

so your saying i should get back to picking the plastic out around the insert hole?

• todds924

Posted February 09, 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have taken off the shroud and tried to pick the plastic around the insert to try and pop it out but still is super hard, so now i have a hole in my shroud at the rear where it mounts up to the gas tank but if i keep picking at the insert and finally pop it out will it put a hole in my gas tank? because if it doesnt then i will put the insert back in the tank with some JB weld and hope it holds up.

That insert is a brass insert and about one inch long. I have seen a tank ruined by taking the whole insert out. The gas tank is molded around these inserts. I have had the best luck scraping away enough plastic on two sides of the insert.....the insert is a square brass lug...... enough to get some duck bill pliers on it to hold it. Then i use a 3/8 impact to break the bolt loose. If you cant get it out......PM me, i have a spare tank in great condition.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.