Clarke 4.0 tank

12 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Hey I just installed my new tank. Any one have any leak issues with this tank? Specifically at the pet cock O ring. Also I thought about Lok-Tite'ing the screws that hold it to the tank body. Any Issues with the two screws backing out over time? I didnt loktite them because I thought it might make removing them difficult. As in the "weld nuts" spinning in the the tank. Any input is appr.

Thanks,

Rich.

• jetfuel

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hey I just installed my new tank. Any one have any leak issues with this tank? Specifically at the pet cock O ring. Also I thought about Lok-Tite'ing the screws that hold it to the tank body. Any Issues with the two screws backing out over time? I didnt loktite them because I thought it might make removing them difficult. As in the "weld nuts" spinning in the the tank. Any input is appr.

Thanks,

Rich.

I have had no issuses with my screws backing out..
I also fabricated brackets to mount to the old lower scoop mounts on the frame.
I didn't like the side to side play when the tank was full causing the petcock to get very close to the head and they made it more ridgid. I've dumped it quite a few times and have never had and problems with the brackets.

• stepho

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:13 PM

what about using PST on instead of loctite. I want that tank too what do you think. Im listening.

• MegaThumper

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:18 PM

Thanks,

Rich.

I have the 4.3 on my xr650R and the tank itself does not leak. And I did not use any loctite. I do have a problem with the float bowl overflowing from time to time since I put this tank on. Never happened before putting the tank on. Adjusted float several times but it still happens. It seems to help if I only move fuel lever about half way down (45 degree's) instead of all the way down (90 degrees) :busted:

I had a clarke on my old 1993 XR650L, I never had any problems at all. The petcock was very close to the cyl head but it never seemed to rub. Friend has been riding it for several years now and still going strong.

• martinfan30

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:22 PM

I have had no issuses with my screws backing out..
I also fabricated brackets to mount to the old lower scoop mounts on the frame.
I didn't like the side to side play when the tank was full causing the petcock to get very close to the head and they made it more ridgid. I've dumped it quite a few times and have never had and problems with the brackets.

I see what you mean about the side/side play. I only wonder if the brackets will rip the "weld nuts" out of the tank body during a hard fall . Do you have any pics of your setup? Thanks JF..

Maybe you can PS a sweet brace system on the tank!LOL!

• martinfan30

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:24 PM

I have the 4.3 on my xr650R and the tank itself does not leak. And I did not use any loctite. I do have a problem with the float bowl overflowing from time to time since I put this tank on. Never happened before putting the tank on. Adjusted float several times but it still happens. It seems to help if I only move fuel lever about half way down (45 degree's) instead of all the way down (90 degrees) :busted:

I had a clarke on my old 1993 XR650L, I never had any problems at all. The petcock was very close to the cyl head but it never seemed to rub. Friend has been riding it for several years now and still going strong.

I wonder if the extra fuel weight overrrides the float needle, kinda forcing it open.:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MegaThumper

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:50 AM

I wonder if the extra fuel weight overrrides the float needle, kinda forcing it open.:busted:

That's what I have been thinking but who knows? Have a friend with same tank same bike, no problem. But I have read about others with same problem as me. Just lucky I guess. :worthy:

• Smoke Eater

Posted February 08, 2008 - 06:53 AM

You could try a smaller ID fuel line or an inline filter to slow the gravity feed a little.

• MegaThumper

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:52 AM

You could try a smaller ID fuel line or an inline filter to slow the gravity feed a little.

Good idea but there is no room between the carb and petcock! There is a 90 degree turn and about 1/2in between the petcock and carb. Hose has to be pre-molded or the kink stops the fuel flow.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:54 AM

Good idea but there is no room between the carb and petcock! There is a 90 degree turn and about 1/2in between the petcock and carb. Hose has to be pre-molded or the kink stops the fuel flow.

Use a 90 filter. I use them on my bike.

• MegaThumper

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Use a 90 filter. I use them on my bike.

mmmm never seen one... but I will look for one.

• COAL RUN

Posted February 08, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Martinfan30 I also have the Clark 4.0 & fabed a bracket like jetfuel did the "weld nuts" have survived a few "tests" & seem very solid. never had any issue with the petcock exept it actuall could hit the head before I fabbed the bracket.

• martinfan30

Posted February 08, 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks guys for the advise. I think I will try to put foam or elec. tape around the 2 rubber grommets and get some wire to do like Jetfuel did.:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.