650L - valve lash pretty close. Matter?

2 replies to this topic
  • IMNXNYR

Posted February 07, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Measured the valve lash and the intakes are about .005 and .006 vice the recommended .004, the exhausts are .006 and .007 vice the recommended .005. Haven't adjusted them yet but would like some input from ya'll as to whether that much excessive lash is even anything to worry about. What are the drawbacks to having to much lash when the excess is .002 or .001? The bike is a 2007 with ~3500 miles running full syn oil since 500 and no noticeable or unusual problems. Should I adjust them or just record the values and monitor changes?
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted February 07, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Absolutely no problem. Extra lash makes more noise. You might lose a little top end power, but gain a little on the bottom.

When the valve train wears the lash will decrease not increase. When it gets to zero the valves stay open a little and generally fry from the leaking combustion gases.

I usually run mine .001 over spec. I consider those numbers as a minimum limit. If I measure less than the spec I adjust.

• martinfan30

Posted February 07, 2008 - 03:57 PM

Good advise CL. Better a little loose than a little tight. Like he said, a little more noise, but you wont burn 'em!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.