B/D Kit, Vapor & Stock Stator - 650R

10 replies to this topic
  • jdubb75

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:12 PM

I'm expecting my Baja D/S kit to get here any day (thanks TT Store for the low price!:busted: ) I would like to put on a Vapor right away too so I can keep track of my mileage.

My question is, will the stock stator power all of this stuff temporarily? I am either going to rewind my stock stator or pick up a Ricky Stator in the near future, but wanted to go ahead and put the Baja kit and the Vapor on it. I will be running the 35w (until the stator upgrade) bulb and l.e.d. sigs.

Basically, I'm just getting anxious to get this thing on the street.

Any toughts....???

• abby

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Yes.

You don't need external power for the computer anyway, external power is only needed for the backlighting. But even the BD battery can backlight it with the engine off.

• jdubb75

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yes.

You don't need external power for the computer anyway, external power is only needed for the backlighting. But even the BD battery can backlight it with the engine off.

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks again abby! :busted:

• jdubb75

Posted February 07, 2008 - 01:32 PM

Has anyone bought their Vapor for the 650R from the TT store? When you look up the part number for the price it also displays the mfr p/n, which is 75-400. When I look that number up on Trail Tech's site it says it's for a CRF.

Anyone know what the differences are?

• glabudde

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:51 PM

I have that exact same set up. The Vapor is powered by external battery. The Baja Kit is totally underpowered, count on rewinding the stator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted February 08, 2008 - 05:37 AM

Has anyone bought their Vapor for the 650R from the TT store? When you look up the part number for the price it also displays the mfr p/n, which is 75-400. When I look that number up on Trail Tech's site it says it's for a CRF.

Anyone know what the differences are?

Code Description Qty Price Total
TRAILTECH_75-405 VAPOR KIT XR650R 1 $107.96 $107.96
TRAILTECH_022-TM VAPOR TOP MOUNT BILLET PROTECTOR FOR VAPOR KIT 1 $44.96 $44.96

Subtotal: $152.92
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Grand Total: $152.92

• jdubb75

Posted February 08, 2008 - 05:50 AM

Code Description Qty Price Total
TRAILTECH_75-405 VAPOR KIT XR650R 1 $107.96 $107.96
TRAILTECH_022-TM VAPOR TOP MOUNT BILLET PROTECTOR FOR VAPOR KIT 1 $44.96 $44.96

Subtotal: $152.92
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Grand Total: $152.92

Can you tell me what TT Store p/n's you used to find that? When I look, I can only find one option for XR 95-06 p/n 56-0776.

• needsprayer

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:04 AM

This is what my TT invoice stated, no other p/ns. You can call to make an order and use this info.

• jdubb75

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I will just call them to order.

Does anyone know if the odo on the vapor can be set for the existing mileage when installed or does it have to start at 0?

• Maroast

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:58 AM

I have that exact same set up. The Vapor is powered by external battery. The Baja Kit is totally underpowered, count on rewinding the stator.

Yeah, I had problems with draining the batter in my vapor if I drove around with the high beam on at low speeds...the power output of the stock stator was so bad w/ the BD kit that when you reved the engine, the backlight on the vapor would go from dim to bright.

Rewinding the stator yourself is an easy and fun(?) job....i would count on doing it if your dual-sporting this bike. But dont worry too much, this bike was my primary form of transportation and I rode it around for about 6-7 months before doing the rewind.

• ej67ss

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Did you get the vapor with the water temp sensor? I tapped mine into the thermostat housing. It worked perfect you just need to find the right tap and a copper washer to seal the temp sensor. It looks like honda planned a spot for it on the housing just look at the housing real close you will see it. I have done it to both my bikes!!

http://i257.photobuc...ss/P1020056.jpg

http://i257.photobuc...ss/P1020059.jpg

If your interested I will tell ya how I did the whole thing. This is an alternate method of doing this and I am sure some people will gimmie :busted:
So I am not gonna wast my time explaining it unless ya really wanna know...:ride: :worthy:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.