You don't have to live with loud valves. Long post

8 replies to this topic
  • sj269

Posted February 07, 2008 - 11:30 AM

It all started when I hastily adjusted my valves awhile ago on my "new to me" 2000 xr650r. I probably did not get TDC correct and activated the autodecompressor (my best guess at least). immediately after, I got a loud clicking or clanking noise from the front right exhaust valve audible at all rpm ranges. When I say it was loud I mean I was embarrased to ride my bike.
The bike still ran well, and was asymptomatic of any problems other than the noise. But lets face it, thats enough look at another solution.
I had since re-adjusted the valves and was sure I did it right. The noise stayed.
I am now preparing the bike for a three day trip to Death Valley, and let me tell you, I don't want anything to grenade on me in the Valley of Death. So I took the bike to a couple of friends who have been wrenching on things for many many years. As I would cycle the flywheel to find TDC we could hear the offending clanking noise and feel the hit if we put our finger on the top of the adjusting nut of the front right valve.
One friend suggested that I might have a broken inner valve spring which was causing the valve to seat weird due to just one spring doing all the work.
So the decision was made to remove to rocker cover and see what we could see. All looked well, none of us has any experience with the decompressor set up like the xrr has ,so we played with it, cycled the flywheel, probed the springs with the blades of various tools, and visually checked all components. Since all looked well we figured it was just a "quirck of the bike". The repair manual compared against the bike did'nt show anything out of the ordinary.
I put it all back together and let the rtv gasket sit overnight.
When I fired it up in the morning, the sond was gone, the bike sounded like a sewing maching (compared to the day before.) So I don't know what happened exactly, Im just saying excessivly loud valves do not have to be put up with.
Any ideas what we did to rid the bike of the loud clanking noise?

• philipstjohn

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Its hard to say since I was not there...:worthy:
Probably just jiggled and wiggled everything to perfection...something may not have been seated just right or slightly off? :busted:

• weskc35k

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:08 AM

It's a spin the crank the wrong way when setting the valves thing.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Was there any prayers said? Deals made with the devil? Good luck on the trip!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sj269

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:03 PM

Spining the crank the wrong way.... I think you are on to something. I will confess, when I adjusted the valves for the first time, I did, briefly, spin the crank about 1/2 revolution the wrong way. I guess that could upset the decompressor mechanism and cause all kinds of havoc.

• martinfan30

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:54 PM

Spining the crank the wrong way.... I think you are on to something. I will confess, when I adjusted the valves for the first time, I did, briefly, spin the crank about 1/2 revolution the wrong way. I guess that could upset the decompressor mechanism and cause all kinds of havoc.

BINGO!:busted:

• sj269

Posted February 08, 2008 - 05:11 PM

So, if that was the case, what happenes when the crank is turned the wrong way on a xrr?

• haggeo

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:10 PM

So, if that was the case, what happenes when the crank is turned the wrong way on a xrr?

embarrassing noises happen.

• weskc35k

Posted February 09, 2008 - 03:46 AM

Stuff like a lifter noise ticking happens.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.