Auto clutch???

46 replies to this topic
  • r1rider871

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:11 PM

I have had the Rekluse Pro on my 06 YZ450 for about 2 months now. I don't think I will ever go without one again:prof: :applause:

I installed it during a top end rebuild and I also added a Dr D full pipe too. I had to adjust my jetting to get it perfect with the new pipe or the bike would stall. Once jetted correctly though it was perfect. It engages just above idle and I still get full engine braking. You only free wheel the rear if you have locked it up from the brake. You then have to blip the throttle to engage it again.

I also switched to the left hand brake with the clutch override. I am still getting used to it, but it has some huge advantages over a foot operated one. The fact you can throw your right leg out in right hand turns is big, but coming down big hills I also found its easier. It also helps to have it as if you have to bail off a hill on the left side of the bike you can grab the rear brake. Since the clutch will disengage and the bike will just idle it will also free wheel. Last thing you want is to see your bike idling back down the hill without you:naughty:

I have also been riding for about 15 years and I can say riding can actually get better:thumbsup: I just ordered another for my new KTM 530EXC-R:ride: I also got one for my wifes TTR125!

• maico1983

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:36 AM

the new pro version stays in adjustment until the clutch pack is pretty much wasted,i don't mx too often but i don't find any hinderance when i do;just the benefits:thumbsup:

I was thinking of getting one for my YZ426 - I have stalled it when hot and sat exhausted from kicking it over - the purchace price is high but what about the maintenance costs?? and how do you adjust it once intalled?
Also which is better? The Hinson or the Rev-lok?

• maddogyz250f

Posted February 15, 2008 - 09:13 AM

I was thinking of getting one for my YZ426 - I have stalled it when hot and sat exhausted from kicking it over - the purchace price is high but what about the maintenance costs?? and how do you adjust it once intalled?
Also which is better? The Hinson or the Rev-lok?

The Hinson is a slipper clutch and not an auto clutch thus works very differently than a Rekluse. A slipper works during hard braking (wheel hop) situations and helps reduce engine braking but you will still stall when going too slow in a tall gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pinto24

Posted February 15, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Please correct me if I a wrong, but this is the one that is for sale in the TT online store? If I get the pro version, can I run my original clutch lever, or do I need to run a special lever and perch assembly? I just install it, adjust it, and I should be good to go?

Thanks

• maico1983

Posted February 15, 2008 - 09:14 PM

sounds like I want the auto clutch then - but how is the lifespan?

• 642MX

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Please correct me if I a wrong, but this is the one that is for sale in the TT online store? If I get the pro version, can I run my original clutch lever, or do I need to run a special lever and perch assembly? I just install it, adjust it, and I should be good to go?

Thanks

You can use the stock lever and perch with both versions on the Rekluse.

• 642MX

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:49 AM

sounds like I want the auto clutch then - but how is the lifespan?

The life span of the plates is equal to or longer than a standard clutch (when properly set-up and maintained).

The life span of the z-start depends on if you follow the break in procedure or not. When the original z-start came out, the directions told us to install the clutch and hammer it. Now, they've revised the directions and they have a break in procedure to follow. My first z-start lasted 1.5 years with no problems, then the top plate started looking bad (from not breaking it in). Called Rekluse, they sent me another top plate, and the new directions for free. Rode it approximately 1.5 years and it looked like brand new when I pulled it out to upgrade to the Pro.

I can't speak for the Pro version, since I just installed it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.