Auto clutch???

46 replies to this topic
  • thumpyz

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:26 PM

I am new to 4 strokes, but have been riding for a while. I am not sure I understand why somebody would want an auto clutch on an mx bike. when i think of an auto clutch it makes me think of a station wagon, like you wouldnt be able to control your power. Are these auto clutches worth the money? They seen expensive for what in my opinion(or lack of knowledge) would be a down grade of ride quality. I would love to be enlightened, if you guys would be so kind. thanks.

• DGIRT

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:04 AM

I have one on my 06 450. I love it. I race moto and hare scrambles with it. I still use the clutch to blast out of the corners to clear a jump. Best of all I don't have to worry about stalling.

• thumpyz

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Oh, I see. So there is no performance loss, and it keeps the bike from stalling. Do they use these things in supercross? Is this why they can dump the bike and it doesnt die?

• maddogyz250f

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:55 AM

There is no performance loss at all. You may even go faster because the auto clutch is better at clutch management than most riders. You will also not get as tired. I do not know of any supercross rider who uses one but some do use slipper clutches. The only reason they do not stall in a crash is because they either pull in the clutch in time or the rear tire stays off the ground while the bike is laying on its side.

Some people, including myself, have a trouble keeping auto clutches adjusted. If you don't keep it adjusted, you will stall often and/or burn up your plates pretty quickly.

• yz4fun

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I have the recluse in my 450 and i love it,kind of like a Honda 50 being i can pop it into gear without the clutch lever:thumbsup: but don't be fooled,just give it a little gas and its like a regular clutch :busted:

• ncmountainman

Posted February 08, 2008 - 03:05 PM

There is no performance loss at all. You may even go faster because the auto clutch is better at clutch management than most riders. You will also not get as tired. I do not know of any supercross rider who uses one but some do use slipper clutches. The only reason they do not stall in a crash is because they either pull in the clutch in time or the rear tire stays off the ground while the bike is laying on its side.

Some people, including myself, have a trouble keeping auto clutches adjusted. If you don't keep it adjusted, you will stall often and/or burn up your plates pretty quickly.

the new pro version stays in adjustment until the clutch pack is pretty much wasted,i don't mx too often but i don't find any hinderance when i do;just the benefits:thumbsup:

• surfersean1982

Posted February 09, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Pretty cool sounding. So you can literally do a hard brake into a tight turn, down shift and exit out hard on the gas without ever touching the clutch lever? I think it would be hard for me not to pull the clutch in at first. Does it take some time getting use to it?:busted:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 09, 2008 - 04:08 PM

Pretty cool sounding. So you can literally do a hard brake into a tight turn, down shift and exit out hard on the gas without ever touching the clutch lever? I think it would be hard for me not to pull the clutch in at first. Does it take some time getting use to it?:busted:

i have one on my 250f and i just took the lever right off so i wouldent want to pull a dead lever..

makes the bike really easy to ride in really tight rocky woods

• mackalroy

Posted February 09, 2008 - 04:21 PM

ur telling me that u guys have a cntrifigal clutch on a two wheeler??

• yz_for_me

Posted February 09, 2008 - 05:03 PM

Pretty cool sounding. So you can literally do a hard brake into a tight turn, down shift and exit out hard on the gas without ever touching the clutch lever? I think it would be hard for me not to pull the clutch in at first. Does it take some time getting use to it?:applause:

Yes you can literally do a hard brake into a right turn, down shift and exit out hard on the gas without ever touching the clutch lever and yes this is pretty cool. Oh and yes it takes some getting used to. Those first few rides are kinda trippy. Strangley enought though, when I ride a bike with a regular clutch, I have no trouble remembering to use it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted February 09, 2008 - 05:06 PM

Pretty cool sounding. So you can literally do a hard brake into a tight turn, down shift and exit out hard on the gas without ever touching the clutch lever? I think it would be hard for me not to pull the clutch in at first. Does it take some time getting use to it?:applause:

Edit: oops. Repost.

• surfersean1982

Posted February 09, 2008 - 06:52 PM

AWESOME

Sounds pretty trick. I wish I had the strap$$$ to throw down on that! Do any of the MX/SX PRO's ever use it?

It's still the same on the starting gate right? It's just that the bike has a clutch within a clutch so to speak, and you would have to still pull the clutch in right or is there some type of rpm stall set that you can trigger off once you left the starting gate????(I'm guessing NOT) Might be a good idea to invent if it isn't done already. Otherwise I would have to assume you would have to not give it gas until the gate drops if pulling in the lever is useless.

• biznet1

Posted February 10, 2008 - 04:10 AM

Many canadian pros use them. I had one on a CRF450 and I liked it a lot. I removed the clutch lever and replaced it with a left hand rear brake lever kit (you still have the foot brake). It is great for those right hand turns but it took a couple of weeks to get used to it. The action of the clutch was perfect. It helps tremendously with throttle control out of the turns because it gives you just the amount of clutch you need regardless of the gear. When I laid the bike down (many times!) the bike never stalled a single time. On the starts you just had to brake and throttle enough to get past the delay but you can do third gear starts.

• MXHSRACER

Posted February 10, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I have been think of getting the new pro version, Are they hard to adjust? I race moto x for the most part and some Hare Scrambles.

• ncmountainman

Posted February 10, 2008 - 02:00 PM

I have been think of getting the new pro version, Are they hard to adjust? I race moto x for the most part and some Hare Scrambles.

quite easy, and there is a variety of stall speed and engagement rates;the pro is much better than the old one in every aspect.... component strength,installation ease,customization to riding style,can be overridden much easier,and stays in adjustment almost t'ill the end of the clutch packs life. can't beat that with a stick:thumbsup:

• crakey

Posted February 12, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Does the clutch still work (over-ride) with the recluse system? Can you pull in the clutch and rev the engine without the bike going anywhere? How about choking the bike, does it want to drive off without you when the rpms increase? I love the concept of the system, but don't know too much about it. Thanks for you help in advance!

• ncmountainman

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Does the clutch still work (over-ride) with the recluse system? Can you pull in the clutch and rev the engine without the bike going anywhere? How about choking the bike, does it want to drive off without you when the rpms increase? I love the concept of the system, but don't know too much about it. Thanks for you help in advance!

the pro overrides much better than the old one( which after about 3500 rpm was really hard) as far as using the choke i would hope your in neutral when you warm it up :applause:

• YZERIK

Posted February 13, 2008 - 07:40 AM

i have a 450 with a 4 speed. will this auto clutch help me in the trails? and will it affect wheelies / hillclimbs ? thanks for the input.

• Wiz636

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:54 AM

i have a 450 with a 4 speed. will this auto clutch help me in the trails? and will it affect wheelies / hillclimbs ? thanks for the input.

It would work wonders for your 4 speed...especially in the trails. No, it will not affect your wheelies but it will affect hillclimbs...it will make them much easier.

• YZERIK

Posted February 13, 2008 - 06:38 PM

how will it affect my hill climbs ? im seriously thinking about this product, and am researching it extensively :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.