Uh-oh, left over part after rebuild WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • JS264

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Well, I gone and done it! (Dealing with an 05 WR450 engine) I forgot to put the dowel/pin in that channels the oil between the two case halves, but I did put the o-ring in that is supposed to go over the dowel. Should I just check the oil pressure after I start it and call it good or should I strip it back down and split the cases to put that little bastad in there?(I already have everything back together, except to time it)

Here is the part: reference number 21
Posted Image

• tvawr450

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:24 PM

If it was me I would take it apart and put it in. Thats just me , I would'nt be able to sleep at night knowing I didn't have it in there. Don't feel bad my last major overhaul on a bike engine 84 tt600 I did the same thing, got the cases back together and found a circlip i forgot to put in. Man was i pissed at myself:bonk: but i split the cases put the clip in and put it all back together again and felt way better. as for your dilemma it might be fine without it or it might not, but why chance it ? just my two cents....

Todd:excuseme:

• JS264

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, it is bugging the hell out of me, thats why I wanted some other peoples advice. If you think about it though, that o-ring will do its job and seal the hole. The only thing that I could see happening is that the oil gets some turbulence, because it doesnt have a perfectly smooth channel anymore. :busted:

• Savagekilla

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:26 PM

If I was you, i'd put it on..It was decided to run with it, so...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 07, 2008 - 03:19 AM

Put it in.

If the Oring collapses younot only may have a leak between case halves (internal, external or both) but the Oring could clog a passage way and cause oil starvation.

• MojaveThumper

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:38 AM

I wouldn't be able to ride the bike again without full confidence.

A bolt missing out of the exhaust guard is one thing. Internal engine parts, eh they tend to fail way out in the middle of nowhere with no one around.

• jetfuel

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Put it in.

If the Oring collapses younot only may have a leak between case halves (internal, external or both) but the Oring could clog a passage way and cause oil starvation.

Exactly.. It's not worth the risk.

• JS264

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:19 AM

Well I decided to take it apart. I've got it half torn down, just need to split the case and pop it in. Thanks for all the input!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.