Rear tire, 110 or 120??

11 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Should I just stick with another stock size rear tire or move up to a little bigger tire like a 120? I've never run any other size besides stock but I was thinking the way this bike runs why not have a little bigger tire on the rear for a little better traction. Are there any negatives? (The bike is an 05 450 and it rips)

• tweav

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:25 PM

yes a bigger tire weighs more so your bike will have more rotating mass . will you notice ? not likely.

• gregwr450f

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:29 PM

go for a skinnier tyre, will tip and steer better in corners.

fat tires suck.

• Mutu

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:06 AM

I prefer the 120 size dunlop 952.

Ive got the 110 size dunlop 952 on the back at the moment, but the thing seems to spin a lot more without hooking up.
I wouldn't think that it would make such a big difference, but it does.

If my bike was stock (Ive got hotcams, highcomp piston, pc pipe, vortex ignition...) the 110 would have been fine.

My thought is just try one. If you don't like it, you can always go back.

• waynus

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:43 PM

I recently bought a Dunlop 756 which I was told comes no larger than a 110.

After always running 120 wide Dunlop 952's, I'm keen to try it.

BTW, the manual says us Aussies are meant to run a 130 wide.

I, unlike Greg, am not ready to come out just yet :busted:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:50 PM

the only reason i run 120 is because of where i ride...in the rocky desert/baja

im not good enough to notice the ill effects a 120 tire produces nor the effects of the ultra heavy duty tubes with slime either.

with all that my main goal is to lower the possibility of getting a flat on the trail

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C333

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I put a 120 on my bike the last time I got new tires. I have really stiff suspention and the 120 definitely gets a way better grip than my old 110. The front end comes up easily when I want it too now instead of just spinning like the 110 did.:busted:

• MaxPower

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:45 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I had a dual sport tire on the rear.I wanted to ride all dirt last week with my friends so I installed the complete rear wheel from my 125.I weighed it an it was a full 3 pounds lighter between the aluminum sprocket, tire and standard tube. I was amazed the difference on how much better the bike rode. Im going to stay with the smallest tire I can get away with from now on. And when the sprocket wears I am going to replace it with another aluminum. I never would have thought it was going to make so much of a difference [/COLOR]

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:49 PM

I put a 120 on my bike the last time I got new tires. I have really stiff suspention and the 120 definitely gets a way better grip than my old 110. The front end comes up easily when I want it too now instead of just spinning like the 110 did.:busted:

I've always ran the 110 and I have never had a problem getting the front end up. In fact sometimes its hard to keep it down.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 07, 2008 - 05:08 PM

The stock 110 d756 spun too much for my tastes. It seems like it lit up every time I cracked the throttle coming out of corner. The 120 d952 I run now does spin, but I can meter it better with the throttle...plus its holding up a little better too.

One negative and I think others have mentioned it the fact that its harder to lean over and it has a tendancy to stand up under throttle while riding in a rut. Most of that went away with cranking some preload into the rear spring, but some is still there. The 110 didn't really have that tendancy even with too much sag.

• jpoehls

Posted February 07, 2008 - 06:17 PM

On my 07, I wore the stock 110 out in less than 2 months. I went from a 110 to a 140. I felt the push going downhill, and in the low end. Climbing traction is awesome to the point I am sitting on the tank to keep the front end down! I changed my rear sprocket to 51.

My next tire will be the 120. I think that will be perfection combined with the 51 tooth rear sprocket...great for the tight technical terrain of the mountains.

• boscoe

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM

FWIW I have a 130 MT 21 on an'04 450 and it looks and feels right. The MT 21 does seem to have a narrower/rounder profile though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.