08 Airfilter??

11 replies to this topic
  • Norman

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:21 PM

I just took my airfilter off to clean it after my last harescramble. The race was very dry and dusty, like baby powder. Anyway, I have a very light dust film in my air boot. I cant see anywhere that it got past the filter. I use Twin Air with PJ1 filter oil, as I always have on every bike Ive owned and never had any problems. I noticed the air boot seems to be held to the airbox with a big clamp, the clamp is tight but I dont know how well its sealed. Im sure its been the same since 06, has anyone had any issues with this? I have ridden the bike about 5 times and this was the first time it was dusty out. Luckily I got a flat on my second lap and had to pull off so I only rode about 16 miles.

• ltrosson

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:18 PM

I always put a thin layer of grease on the front of the air filter where it fits up against the boot, along with pj1 filter spray. No problems thus far and we practice in a sand it, it is like baby powder in the summer. Maybe this will help.

• 426boy

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:20 PM

i always smear some axle/wheelbearing, or any heavy grease where the filter is against the airbox to make a good seal. its a little messy but it will keep any dirt, especially that baby poweder stuff from sneaking by your filter. cheap insurance against engine damage.

EDIT: beat me to it haha ^^

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:58 PM

It's been the same since way before '06. The light haze of extremely fine dust got there by going through your air filter. The filter needs to be cleaned and re-oiled every two rides if it's not dusty, every ride if it's dusty. The filter was either not oiled well enough, or the oil wasn't tacky enough, or it had collected all the dirt it could hold.

If the oil is tacky enough, there isn't a need to grease the sealing surface. Clean the filter after each ride, oil it thoroughly, and the haze in the air boot will show up a lot less often.

• DesertRacer2

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:17 PM

I have been putting grease on my air filters as added protection since I was 12. That, and taking care of my filter after a day of riding or racing, has always protected my top ends.

• Norman

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:46 AM

I guess I wasnt very clear, I have and always do clean my filters after every ride and clean the inside of the airbox, I think gray is right, after 2 laps the filter looks like a bunt cake, I think for the conditions it wasnt oiled enough. Ive noticed over the years PJ1 isnt as tacky as it used to be, maybe its time for a switch. I always oil completely around the sealing ring, to me the whole grease thing just makes a mess and is hard to get out of the filter during cleaning. To each his own but I think I will pass on the grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 07, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Instead of the grease, I run Pro Seals. May not actually seal better (it is just wetsuit neoprene) but the extra material causes the filter foam to be firmer against the airbox.

• DesertRacer2

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:31 AM

I guess I wasnt very clear, I have and always do clean my filters after every ride and clean the inside of the airbox, I think gray is right, after 2 laps the filter looks like a bunt cake, I think for the conditions it wasnt oiled enough. Ive noticed over the years PJ1 isnt as tacky as it used to be, maybe its time for a switch. I always oil completely around the sealing ring, to me the whole grease thing just makes a mess and is hard to get out of the filter during cleaning. To each his own but I think I will pass on the grease.

I have found that PJ1 isn't that great. I always use the Maxima filter oil. Goes on nicely and it has a wider spray then the PJ1 can.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:05 AM

I use Maxima FFT, also. After it sits out on a filter for a few hours, I can actually get the filters to stick to a wall on their sealing surfaces. I'm told BelRay is also very tacky.

One thing I have noticed about the '06 and later air box is that it gets a lot dirtier in there than the earlier ones did, and I don't know why that should be so, exactly. The filters gather much more fine dust much sooner than my '03 did. I may try some sort of pre-filtration scheme.

TT'er Wiz636 ran a race through volcanic silt that so overwhelmed his air filter that it cost him an engine overhaul. Other riders, many on other makes, had to abandon the race or change their filter mid-race, so sometimes conditions in off-road racing can just be too extreme for any normal set up.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:12 AM

I use only Belray Filter oil and no more grease to seal the edge since 2000. (used to use lithium grease on edge)Belray is tacky enough that it seals at the lip. Also make sure you tighten the wing screw completely :busted:

• Norman

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, it was literaly white out in some sections, the flat tire was almost welcomed. I think I have a can of Maxima, I will give it a try.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Also, pay close attention to the bolt hole in the filter. Be certain it is well centered over the cage, and that there is plenty of filter oil at that point.

This is worth a look:

http://www.thumperta...220#post5848220

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.