Broken hubs

23 replies to this topic
  • surfersean1982

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:19 PM

Happened to me. Repalced the bolts. Locktited blue stuff. Flew off again. Investigated further, found the sprocket holes were elongated from initally being loose. So I figured if I don't replace the sprocket it'll only happen again and risk possibly more damage. So I replaced the sprocket and went with an aftermarket specific sprocket locking bolts and bought the highest bolt locking compound possible which stated you would need to heat the bolts up to 350 degrees to loosen'em. That did the trick. That sh*t hasn't dared loosen on me yet. IT's going to suck geting em of. I'll have to use the welding torch on low flame to heat up to loosen that bond. I got a nice gouge on my swing arm too from one of the bolts coming out...SUXXX. One guy on the track said the bolt actually flew into him and said it hurt pretty good. Crazy sh#t.

• brian389

Posted February 14, 2008 - 04:15 PM

I've broken 3 YZ 450F hubs, 1 on an '04, and 2 on my '06, the last one a week ago. I had just checked spoke tension (45-50 inch pounds) sprocket bolts (perfect), chain tension and alignment. All three time were impacts where I grabbed a handfull of gas when the rear was catching a whoop, flat-landing on a table (ouch) and sharp edge of a double. Those are the same hubs as the YZ250, and haven't changed in years. Go with Rad or Talon on the replacement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 14, 2008 - 04:30 PM

kj still waiting for my hub. Mine split right down the middle. Must have hit the nitros button too many times and all the power to the rear wheels must have been to much

• kylwk1500

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:16 PM

its definately worth it to do things to spec. might as well so you can save hundreds of dollars from sprocket, chain, and (the worse) engine damage

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.