Broken hubs

23 replies to this topic
  • KJ790

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:03 PM

I've seen a few people breaking hubs on the 06 450s. Just curious if anyone has an old broken hub laying around that they are willing to donate. You can let me know through PM. I hope this post isn't breaking any rules, if it is then feel free to delete it.

• BIG_FAT_&_SLOW

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:16 PM

I should have one in a week or so. Broke one on my 06 250. When it gets rebuilt I'll send it up to you.

Mark

• matts06yzf

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I've seen a few people breaking hubs on the 06 450s. Just curious if anyone has an old broken hub laying around that they are willing to donate. You can let me know through PM. I hope this post isn't breaking any rules, if it is then feel free to delete it.

Will you lace me some wheels if I buy everything? I send ya a broken one haha for real what ya gonna do with it?

• todds924

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:53 PM

hey KJ, why the interest???? I have a broken 08 rear hub...came into the shop last week. I have seen others broke in the same fashion....sprocket ripped right off the hub because the sprocket bolts were loose. I don't know if people are just tightening the allen instead of getting a wrench on the backside nuts to properly tighten them or what. It is fairly common i guess with 06 to 08's...I have seen maybe 4 or 5 total in the past 2 years.

• tonypitcock79

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:39 PM

and it really sucks when this happens and it throws the chain through the case's.......twice!!!!!

• 426boy

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:17 PM

and it really sucks when this happens and it throws the chain through the case's.......twice!!!!!

OUCH haha, i have a little carbon fiber case saver deal on my 426, dont know how good a job it would do against a flailing chain but sound like you should get one.

• 909Trash

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:51 PM

OUCH haha, i have a little carbon fiber case saver deal on my 426, dont know how good a job it would do against a flailing chain but sound like you should get one.

Your fancy little carbon fiber case saver will not save you. I think the case saver I had on my bike actually is the cause of my broken case. Chain broke and wedged itself between the carbon fiber case saver and the motor case.

Broken hub? I have an 05 450 that the sprocket came loose on after a 45 minute gp race, and ripped the hub apart. It was tight before the race but I didn't put any thread lock on it. So it was my fault and it will never happen again to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• endurodog

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:44 AM

This was debated awhile back and my theory on this has been disputed but it has worked for me. Be very careful with the torq specs on the rear sprocket. If it comes loose once or you have overtightened the bolts get new bolts set to torq and Loctite. I believe the bolts are damaged when over tightened and will continue to come loose until the slamming breaks the hub. I trashed 2 hubs on YZ250 2 strokes and had friends do them on 426s even though Loctite was used. Since following these guideline none of us has had a failure.

• KJ790

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I only need like 2 or three. I am an engineering student and am looking at failed materials and I felt that hubs would be great to look at and learn from.

• nap__kxf

Posted February 07, 2008 - 05:35 AM

This was debated awhile back and my theory on this has been disputed but it has worked for me. Be very careful with the torq specs on the rear sprocket. If it comes loose once or you have overtightened the bolts get new bolts set to torq and Loctite. I believe the bolts are damaged when over tightened and will continue to come loose until the slamming breaks the hub. I trashed 2 hubs on YZ250 2 strokes and had friends do them on 426s even though Loctite was used. Since following these guideline none of us has had a failure.

well i don't know about that, i put a new renthal alu sprocket on my bike and didn' use a torque wrench, just snugged them down fairly tight and have had 15-20 hours on my bike since its been fine.

although this thread makes me want to take it off and torque it down to specs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I only need like 2 or three. I am an engineering student and am looking at failed materials and I felt that hubs would be great to look at and learn from.

KJ790 cool project - To the Hub great debate - I would like to find out what is causing this also as I have never had a hub issue on any Yami 1997 - up.

• ruralrider

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these hubs made out of a composite? Magnesium/aluminum mixed together and maybe some other materials, could it be a stress failure because of the torque of the 450 coupled with a design/casting flaw? Or the metals not bonding together as uniform as they should be?

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 10:03 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these hubs made out of a composite? Magnesium/aluminum mixed together and maybe some other materials,

That is called an alloy. Alloys are a blend of metals used to achieve specific metallurgical properties. Composites are composed of differing materials, such as polymer resins and glass or carbon fibers, to create new materials with properties not available in the individual components. All aluminum parts of any kind are alloyed.

In the case of the '06 hubs, there is, IMO, evidence that there was a defect in the hub castings for part of the production run. This is evident from the hubs in which the bearing pocket loosened around the bearing, indicating the metal was excessively ductile (soft). This weakness, if in fact it exists, may be a contributing factor in the failures of the hub flanges on those models. There are, I believe, other things involved, though.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2008 - 10:40 AM

This weakness, if in fact it exists, may be a contributing factor in the failures of the hub flanges on those models. There are, I believe, other things involved, though.

yea I agree 100%....it is either: or combination of
chain tension
sprocket nut/bolt torque or lack of issue
or defective casting

not to be confused with the other hub related issue
spinning bearing issue

All of which Yamaha declares there is no issue with....hmm:excuseme:

• matts06yzf

Posted February 07, 2008 - 11:22 AM

That is called an alloy. Alloys are a blend of metals used to achieve specific metallurgical properties. Composites are composed of differing materials, such as polymer resins and glass or carbon fibers, to create new materials with properties not available in the individual components. All aluminum parts of any kind are alloyed.

In the case of the '06 hubs, there is, IMO, evidence that there was a defect in the hub castings for part of the production run. This is evident from the hubs in which the bearing pocket loosened around the bearing, indicating the metal was excessively ductile (soft). This weakness, if in fact it exists, may be a contributing factor in the failures of the hub flanges on those models. There are, I believe, other things involved, though.

Well said..... Exactly what happened to mine bearing pocket loosened around bearing I caught it before disaster struck. Guys this has been said 100 million times but please loctite your sprocket bolts.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 07, 2008 - 11:39 AM

yeh, one side of my bearing pocket is loose. but im gonna still ride it. it doesnt seem like its that huge of a deal

• stroker yz426

Posted February 07, 2008 - 11:51 AM

yes well i guess the difference in a failing hub is not at the fault of yamaha or the manufacter it is ours as a community, personally i have never lossed a hub or sprockets to loose bolt/nuts and have never found mine loose, but on the other hand i have never torqed these bolts either, nor have i ever found any evidence of over torqing on the bolt or sprocket and hubs of any of my machines, i dont use the crank it till is stops method but i dont use the hand tight method either, maybe im just good at sensing the right amount or maybe im jsut lucky, or maybe god gave me the ability to troq things by feel, i can torq chevy heads bolt with a breaker bar to within 5ft.lbs everytime

• YZF_MXracer71

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:57 PM

I had a 2001 yz 250 and the sprocket bolts kept comeing loose. i kept tightening them more and more and useing lock tight. i could not figure out why they kept comeing loose it was makeing me mad. i even tryed diffrent locking nuts. i think the bolt getting damaged is it a good theory. but anyways after 2 weeks of messing with them i went to a race that was 3 1\2 hours away got into the first 30 seconds on the first lap in the first moto and some off a jump and soon as i landed the tire locked up. when i came to a stop (very quickly) i looked back and my sprocket had broken off the hub and folded into a 90 over the swingarm. that was a crapy day!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Another thing to consider in dealing with loosening sprockets: once the whole sprocket has loosened, the bolt holes in both the hub and sprocket quickly become elongated, and even if only slightly so, will from then on allow the sprocket to scrub on the hub and work loose again. If tis gets caught before it goes too far, the sprocket and bolts can be replaced, and the hub and sprocket drilled to accept dowel pins to check the rotational slippage.

• todds924

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:26 PM

Another thing to consider in dealing with loosening sprockets: once the whole sprocket has loosened, the bolt holes in both the hub and sprocket quickly become elongated, and even if only slightly so, will from then on allow the sprocket to scrub on the hub and work loose again. If tis gets caught before it goes too far, the sprocket and bolts can be replaced, and the hub and sprocket drilled to accept dowel pins to check the rotational slippage.

In a couple hubs i have seen it is very evident the cause was loose bolts. You could visually see where a couple holes were elongated. The thing is that it only takes one or two to be loose and your having a bad day.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.