Setting Suspension

6 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:37 PM

hi, i just bought a 2002 YZ426f about a month ago after i sold my 99 yz400 I for about four monthes. About five or six years ago i owned a 1990 cr125 and 1995 yz125. So far i love the 426. I see alot of posts about setting the suspension to your own weight. I have never done this and want to know what it entails. I would like to know how to set the "sag". I basically go out and ride w/e bike i have w/o doing any suspension work. Can you guys help me out.Im not looking to race or anything but would like to ride a bike that is set up the right way. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:43 PM

Adjusting the suspension to a rider whose weight is out of range for the bike can only be done by changing the springs to some that match up correctly.

Go to Race Tech, and look for the Spring Rates Search link at the upper left. That will help you decide how close to right the springs you have now actually are.

Meantime, look these over:

First: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

Then: http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

And then: http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

• bhsballer76

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:54 PM

ok, well i am 6'2 and about 215. How are the stock srpings for me?
The bike feels stiff to me but i dont really know due to my inexperience.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:59 PM

The stock springs are suited to riders between 175-190 lbs.

Oddly, this is one of the reasons the bike feels stiff. The springs are doing too little work, so the damping has to make up for it.

• 642MX

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:16 PM

ok, well i am 6'2 and about 215. How are the stock srpings for me?
The bike feels stiff to me but i dont really know due to my inexperience.

The wrong springs cause it to ride too far down in the stroke making it feel harsh.

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs and I use a 5.8 rear spring and .49's on the front. It felt better with just a spring change, but after having it revalved, it was like a whole different bike. The springs are good, but a revalve w/ springs is awesome.

• bhsballer76

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:24 PM

so what would be a good amount of sag?

• 642MX

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:09 PM

so what would be a good amount of sag?

I run mine at 95mm.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.