2007 YZ450f dual sport conversion, has it been done?

5 replies to this topic
  • surfersean1982

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:39 PM

I have an 07 YZ450F and I'm wanting to dual sport it and make it street legal. Has anyone done the conversion yet? I called Baja Designs and they said they don't make a stator for an 06+up yz450f. They said I could try running a moose racing stator but it will perform poorly at idle and at low rpms due its low watt output. I suggested to the tech about installing an 07 WR's stator in which he then said would work except that I would have to get a WR CRANK to make it work but otherwise didn't get into great detail how to go about it. So there very well could be other stuff to do as well possibly.

Has anyone tried the moose stator + has anyone done the WR stator/crank conversion to make there dualsport kit work for their 06+up yz450f?

Depending upon what I hear from you guys, I think I'll try the moose, and if its sucks and burns up the stock stator, I'll try to convert it to WR parts if it doesn't cost too much. Haven't looked at the cost of an WR crank yet. I saw the WR stator price which was reasonable. LEt me know if any of you guys know anything. Thanx

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:23 PM

A conversion to a WR flywheel/stator requires the WR crank (at least the left half), the flywheel, stator, and left crankcase cover, plus misc. little bits, totaling roughly $700.

Then there's this;

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=564951

• MaxPower

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:30 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Before you do anything, go to the DMV and see it you can get a title for it[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • surfersean1982

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:27 PM

"Before you do anything, go to the DMV and see it you can get a title for it"

Yeah I tried looking online on the Florida DMV website and could only find a 2006 Florida Motorcyclist Handbook in which it stated at a minimum you are required to have a headlight, a tail light, a brake light, two turn signals, a horn, DOT approved tires and it must have a front and rear brake. It didn't mention anything about EPA noise requirements, smog requirements, whether or not if a two stroke could work, or if it has to be a four stroke. I know there are two stroke street legal scooters out there so it could be possible. My But yeah, I'll will check with the DMV my next day off, which is probably in a week. The only reason I m talking about two strokes is because my other bike is a 2001 cr250.

• surfersean1982

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:28 PM

A conversion to a WR flywheel/stator requires the WR crank (at least the left half), the flywheel, stator, and left crankcase cover, plus misc. little bits, totaling roughly $700.

Then there's this;

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=564951

Thanks for the info and the thread link. I thought I had searched enough and I couldn't find anything for 06 and up.
Thanks for the imput brother.:busted:

• YZERIK

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:56 PM

gray i put a new ignition coil from steahly in my yz that had the lighting coils on it ( hence why i got it)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.