2008 450F Shootouts

27 replies to this topic
  • TahitianRed

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Did everyone read the 2008 450F shootouts. MXA seems to be the most brutal on all manufacturers. I think Dirt Rider had the most interesting stat and it's what made me finally decide to go with the '08 YZ450F, even though they all complained the the Yamaha was slow, it had the fatest lap times for Int/Exp and the second fastest for Nov.

I guess sometimes sound and wheel spin make you think you are going fast!

• Wiz636

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:09 PM

even though they all complained the the Yamaha was slow, it had the fatest lap times for Int/Exp and the second fastest for Nov.

I noticed that also in some of the shootouts (450 & 250f). Everybody complained the Yamaha engine was 'soft' yet the laptimes, dyno charts, timed acceleration tests all say otherwise.

• KAS

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:11 PM

I just read the MXA shootout. They really trumped up the fact the stock muffler chokes off the YZ. On the other hand, DR didn't mention it once.

Also, I thought the new YZ muffler was supposed to be quiet? It was right up there at 98dB with the rest of the other bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 03:36 PM

...even though they all complained the the Yamaha was slow, it had the fatest lap times for Int/Exp and the second fastest for Nov.

Butt dynos are notorious that way. The same exact kind of thing happened when the '06 first came out, which is all the more humorous now that everyone apparently regards the '06 as some kind of grunt monster.

Bikes like the '03 YZ450 and CR500's are a lot of fun, and very exciting to ride, but almost no one is faster on them over the length of a moto than they are on something less thrilling, but more usable.

But you're getting a DRD pipe for yours, as I recall, so stand by for a change in your torque curve.

• TahitianRed

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:06 PM

GR513,

I have no choice but to change the curve if I want to ride on Public Land. Any new muffler S/A (FMF or Pro Circuit) will add power and the stock muffler can not be modified to be an S/A. :busted:

Stock power is way more than this Novice needs, but what can you do? I might even sleeve it down to a 400 when rebuild time comes around. LOL

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:11 PM

It won't be a bad thing. The engine will be a lot like an '06 with more top end. It will still be very smooth and rideable.

• feirmeoir

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:25 PM

Another 450 MX shootout.

http://www.cyclenews...atestissue.html

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2008 - 10:11 AM

wow thanks for this link - wow a mag test that the Honda is 3rd and the Yami is 2nd......this seems to be a semi unbiased test also....nice for a change:thumbsup:

• grunkthump

Posted February 07, 2008 - 01:22 PM

think what the yzf would have done with a silencer!!...:-)

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, I've always wondered what would happen if you slipped them a stock '08 with the '06 exhaust on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLYIN400F

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:36 PM

these tests are funny with how the 450s have evolved over the years. the 2003 yz450f was way too brutal and would walk all over the honda, i kinow i owned one, and i have ridden just about every year of the red and blue bikes since, know the yz is the smooth and ridable one like the crf used to be and the crf has the hit the yzf used to have, but know because the honda has it, it has become the desirable power band. I sometimes really wonder if there isnt some payolla involved in shootouts

• YZF_MXracer71

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:37 PM

Honda Always Seems To Win In Dirt Rider, But Of Course It Does They Are All Honda Fans. I Have A 05 Yzf 450 All Stock But A Quikshot Cover. What Would A Scliencer Do For That And Which One. Thanks

• hondamini50

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Ride both.......The honda is better suited to an A rider and Yamaha is better suited to a b-c class rider. They are all great bikes.

• matts06yzf

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:49 PM

Ride both.......The honda is better suited to an A rider and Yamaha is better suited to a b-c class rider. They are all great bikes.

I can see this in a way but this is definately not always the case, I have seen Very fast A riders go faster on a yami. But I have seen Very Fast A riders make the switch to Honda and go faster. Its all in what fits you. But personally I like not adjusting valves:p

• llamaface

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I think Dirt Rider had the most interesting stat and it's what made me finally decide to go with the '08 YZ450F, even though they all complained the the Yamaha was slow, it had the fatest lap times for Int/Exp and the second fastest for Nov.

That is just unbelievable to me that they can do that with a straight face. If you're talking about a race bike, shouldn't the fastest lap times be the winner?

A couple years ago they did the same thing with the ktm250sx, but they ranked it last IIRC, even tho they consistently turned the fastest lap times on it.

Maybe they're able to go faster, so it feels like the suspension isn't working as well and the steering isn't as precise. I know my bike corners like it's on rails at 5mph.

• llamaface

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:55 PM

If that's the case, then why did the A riders turn faster times on the yami? :busted:

• Wiz636

Posted February 08, 2008 - 02:13 PM

The Yamaha also seems to be suited to the National MX champion, the Vet MX champion, and the soon-to-be next SX champion.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2008 - 03:59 PM

The Yamaha also seems to be suited to the National MX champion, the Vet MX champion, and the soon-to-be next SX champion.

You are correct, but realistically, none of those are stock YZ450's.

• Wiz636

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:08 PM

I heard that Langston's bike was pretty much stock...but I know that rumor and $4.00 will get me a cup of Starbucks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:19 PM

I heard that Langston's bike was pretty much stock...but I know that rumor and $4.00 will get me a cup of Starbucks.

"Pretty much stock" in Grant's case means stock triple clamps that I know of, but it certainly doesn't include the exhaust. See what you think:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.