wr450 in deep muddy water!!!

14 replies to this topic
  • monkee9683

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Hi today i did something stupid i was out riding in some pits not far from were i live having great fun when i rode my 03 wr450 into water thinking it was a puddle got halfway across when it stalled but at this point i was in about 4foot of water -not too bad, but as soon as i got off the bike my feet got stuck in the mud then i started to panick i was on my own in the middle of no where! after having a wrestle in the mud and water i managed to get me and the bike out but this was after dropping the bike on its side so it was almost fully submerged!it was like dragging a horse out !:worthy: i new the bike wasnt gona start at all with the air filter n carb being soaked but i stupidly turned the engine over with the elec start...now the engine wont turn over at all its stuck solid im realising the muddy crap went down the exhaust!!!!:busted: please help!!only had it two weeks any advice would be much appreciated:banghead:

• TheBlackSheep

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:14 AM

That sucks. Somebody please help this guy.

............ bahhh :busted:

• DGRAHAM

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi today i did something stupid i was out riding in some pits not far from were i live having great fun when i rode my 03 wr450 into water thinking it was a puddle got halfway across when it stalled but at this point i was in about 4foot of water -not too bad, but as soon as i got off the bike my feet got stuck in the mud then i started to panick i was on my own in the middle of no where! after having a wrestle in the mud and water i managed to get me and the bike out but this was after dropping the bike on its side so it was almost fully submerged!it was like dragging a horse out !:worthy: i new the bike wasnt gona start at all with the air filter n carb being soaked but i stupidly turned the engine over with the elec start...now the engine wont turn over at all its stuck solid im realising the muddy crap went down the exhaust!!!!:busted: please help!!only had it two weeks any advice would be much appreciated:banghead:

I hate to state the obvious but you should always go riding with someone, incase of emergencys or broken bones or your dumb friend wants to see how far he can ride into this lake....jk yeah first of all your going to need to take everything off, your exhast your carb everything but the motor needs to be removed and cleaned. once you get everything taken off of the bike you need to slowly kick the bike over and see if there is any water or anything inside the cylinder and head. if there is then take it apart, get new gaskets and put it back together, if the water hasn't made it's way into the head, but if you tried fireing it. it probably did, but just clean everything, and let it dry and it should fire back up, I guess you got a battery, well that changes a few things, charge battery and then get an ohm meter and start checking to see if your getting power from battery, then power to the starter, then power to the generator, then power to the igniter, if all is good it should start back up.......good luck:thumbsup:

• monkee9683

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:22 AM

cheers for the kwik reply gonna start on it tonite thanks

• DGRAHAM

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:28 AM

there is a little more to it, but if you do find water in the head or cyclinder you really should take it all apart or have someone do it for you, if it's just external like mud plugged in the pipe, you might be fine,......I once looped out a bike on a steep off camber hill and it did a couple of backflips before stopping, anyways I clogged the exhaust with mud and had to take it off and clean it out with a stick so I could get home..........thank god I decided to bring some tools just incase...........

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:51 AM

I don't think this is as bad as you think. It's highly unlikely that thick muck or sludge got past your baffles and packing and all the way to your engine.

I have made this mistake before and the bike continued to give me years of reliable service afterward.

Clean out the air box and filter, see if any of this sludge got into your boot between the carb and airbox, if not then don't worry about removing your carb, just drain the fuel bowl.

pull the plug, tip the bike over, put in gear and spin the back tire by hand, this should eliminate your hydraulic lock up on the piston and get a lot of the water out or your cylinder.

Change the oil and filter, put a new plug in it and fire it up....

Do 3 to 5 consecutive oil changes until the oil coming out does not look milky..

Youll be good to go unles you bent a valve or something but thats unlikely.

Good luck:ride:

• tweav

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:08 AM

I don't think this is as bad as you think. It's highly unlikely that thick muck or sludge got past your baffles and packing and all the way to your engine.

I have made this mistake before and the bike continued to give me years of reliable service afterward.

Clean out the air box and filter, see if any of this sludge got into your boot between the carb and airbox, if not then don't worry about removing your carb, just drain the fuel bowl.

pull the plug, tip the bike over, put in gear and spin the back tire by hand, this should eliminate your hydraulic lock up on the piston and get a lot of the water out or your cylinder.

Do 3 to 5 consecutive oil changes until the oil coming out does not look milky..

I would also shoot some wd 40 down the plug hole and roll tha motor over before trying to restart it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:46 AM

I would also shoot some wd 40 down the plug hole and roll tha motor over before trying to restart it

Good idea! Pre-lube cannot hurt.... maybe some Marvel Mystery Oil :busted:

• gregwr450f

Posted February 06, 2008 - 01:19 PM

How to de-drown a bike.

Take off and clean air filter.

Clean air box and drain the carby making sure you leave the fuel turned on so plenty flows through the carby.

Remove tank and plug lead, hose out the spark plug recess to remove and mud etc

Spray some diesel or WD into the plug recess, then remove the plug once the WD has drained away.

Get a friend to help you lift the bike up vertically so it's standing on it's back wheel, water should come out of the exhaust, plug hole and maybe the air box.

Squirt some diesel into the spark pulg hole and crank bike over, make sure you stand to the side so you don't get sprayed ....repeat 3-4 times.

Put bike back down and crank over again.

Drain the oil and remove the oil filter.

Replace oil and filter(use cheap stuff)

Replace the spark plug and fit.

Refit clean air filter.

Squirt some fuel into the carby inlet hose.

Crank bike over and it should start.

Replace the fuel tank, seat etc.

Start bike and go for a ride for 5mins.

Replace oil, ride 10 mins, repeat.

Replace oil until it is completely clear and not milky.
You usually won't get mud etc into the carby, just water as the airfilter keeps mud etc out.

We do this trail side every now then (an edited version) and the process works great, takes around 20mins to complete.

• bparsel1

Posted February 06, 2008 - 01:31 PM

:busted: :worthy: :ride:

This is the best advice, I've done this on the trail before. Since it's home just make sure you coat all the elctrics etc. with the WD-40, after all, it does stand for water displacement. Anyways, you should have the bike fired within an hr. Good luck.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:03 PM

How to de-drown a bike.

Take off and clean air filter.

Clean air box and drain the carby making sure you leave the fuel turned on so plenty flows through the carby.

Remove tank and plug lead, hose out the spark plug recess to remove and mud etc

Spray some diesel or WD into the plug recess, then remove the plug once the WD has drained away.

Get a friend to help you lift the bike up vertically so it's standing on it's back wheel, water should come out of the exhaust, plug hole and maybe the air box.

Squirt some diesel into the spark pulg hole and crank bike over, make sure you stand to the side so you don't get sprayed ....repeat 3-4 times.

Put bike back down and crank over again.

Drain the oil and remove the oil filter.

Replace oil and filter(use cheap stuff)

Replace the spark plug and fit.

Refit clean air filter.

Squirt some fuel into the carby inlet hose.

Crank bike over and it should start.

Replace the fuel tank, seat etc.

Start bike and go for a ride for 5mins.

Replace oil, ride 10 mins, repeat.

Replace oil until it is completely clear and not milky.
You usually won't get mud etc into the carby, just water as the airfilter keeps mud etc out.

We do this trail side every now then (an edited version) and the process works great, takes around 20mins to complete.

This is good too but I would suggest not using cheap oil to flush... I did this because I thought "what the hell? I'm just flushing the motor" so I went bought some cheap 10-40 and my clutch was screwed up because the oil had additives in it that ruined the fibers..

• monkee9683

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:36 PM

its good to know theres people willing to give good advice on here thanks all:applause: i took the plug out tonite and turned it over to get the water out then poured some fuel in and did it again, i put a good bit of wd down there afterwards and put the plug back in. i will try firing the beast up 2mos after cleaning the airbox, filter and change the oil and drain the carb through with a bit of luck should fire up thanks again :busted: NO MORE DEEP WATER

• gregwr450f

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:41 PM

yes, it would have been fricton modified.
never use friction modified oil in a bike.

• gregwr450f

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:41 PM

WD is very abrasive.

• brad the best

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:37 PM

did that with a kx 60 once , flipped it over and drained all the water out . 20 kicks later it ran like a top ,no joke .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.