Overheating and Running Lean?

6 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:01 AM

I went on a nice ride this past weekend and rode some very technical trails. Now in the middle of the summer with no rain, these trails are difficult. This past weekend, I went and rode them after it had snowed/sleet, rained on top of that, then gold cold overnight. There were slick icy/snowy patches all over the place.

In one particular section I had a hell of a time getting up a steep slick section. A worn rear tire combined with the tall seat height and tall gearing of my YZ426 didn't help either. I spent about 30 minutes getting up a very technical rocky hill (it's difficult even without snow), and at one point my bike spewed some coolant out the overflow and started running like crap. It kept stalling, sputtering, and backfiring which didn't help getting up the hill.

Being relatively new to liquid cooled 4 strokes, are these symptoms of overheating? Is the bike running lean when hot? After I finally made it up the troublesome hill and started moving again, it ran much better.

When I made it down the other side of the hill, a pack of quad riders my brother and I chatted with couldn't believe that we were crazy enough to ride bikes in those conditions.

• SRT426

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Basically YES, you overheated it and you started having problems associated with the extra engine heat. If you plan to ride conditions like that often then you may want to consider a coolant catch tank so you don't blow all your coolant on the trail. Also, using a performance coolant like engine ice or even adding a little water wetter (made by Redline) will help keep you a bit cooler in those conditions.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Another contributor here is the weather. Lower temps result in denser air, which begs richer jetting to compensate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hi_im_sean

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:12 AM

the fact that you were struggling up a hill will make a bike over heat. when the bike gets overheated it is actually running richer. overheating in those conditions is somewhat normal . when your over heating starts to degrade performance (running like poo, stumbling) you need to stop and let it cool, its trying to warn you, its telling you to stop. its not good to push an overheated engine of any type/size/displacement whatever.

• BASSic

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:14 AM

Another contributor here is the weather. Lower temps result in denser air, which begs richer jetting to compensate.

I considered that, but why would did it only run like crap when I overheated?

I just learned from the previous owner that he never rejetted after putting an aftermarket pipe on it. Top that off with 40 degree air and I can only assume that it's way too lean. Surprisingly it doesn't feel like it though. Even in this cold weather the bike seems to run fine - lots of power at all RPMs, no bog, no sputtering, and no backfiring.

The catch can is on my list of things to get before the end of winter, along with radiator braces, a skid plate, and disc guards. Is it possible to rig something up myself, or would I be better off just getting a catch can from a WR?

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:39 AM

I considered that, but why would did it only run like crap when I overheated?

I just learned from the previous owner that he never rejetted after putting an aftermarket pipe on it. Top that off with 40 degree air and I can only assume that it's way too lean. Surprisingly it doesn't feel like it though. Even in this cold weather the bike seems to run fine - lots of power at all RPMs, no bog, no sputtering, and no backfiring.

The catch can is on my list of things to get before the end of winter, along with radiator braces, a skid plate, and disc guards. Is it possible to rig something up myself, or would I be better off just getting a catch can from a WR?

The weather-related lean jetting wouldn't cause it to run that bad, but it's an aggravating factor, and may have been part of the reason it got that hot, and/or why it misbehaved so badly when it did.

And not all aftermarket pipes require significant rejetting. The DRD's I currently use work fine with the same jets I ran with the stock exhaust. OTOH, pipes with larger muffler core than the original pipe may actually make the bike run rich.

A catch can cab be any container that you can run the overflow into. In order to recover the coolant, the hose has to reach to the bottom of the can, though. A key element of coolant recovery systems is the cap. The cap needs a seal at the top of the radiator neck to prevent air from leaking in when the vacuum formed by the cooling of the system is trying to draw coolant back to the radiator. You may need a cap from a WR.

• BASSic

Posted February 06, 2008 - 01:33 PM

And not all aftermarket pipes require significant rejetting. The DRD's I currently use work fine with the same jets I ran with the stock exhaust. OTOH, pipes with larger muffler core than the original pipe may actually make the bike run rich.

It's a Thunder Alley Pipe. From what I read, they need a bigger main jet. With stock jetting, my bike runs great even with cold air at relatively low altitude (900 feet). The low end and midrange power and throttle response is incredible. The top end seems to be lacking, but this may just be my perception coming off of a 2-stroke.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.