YZ riders opinion - 06' or 07' the strongest?

7 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:19 PM

I am looking at installing YZ cams in my 07' WR450 but there is some discussion over in the WR forum as to which year is best to install as the cam p/n's are supposedly different between 06' and 07' YZ's :busted:

I want the hardest hit I can get so with out pride and prejudice....... which one hits harder?

My WR has all the free mods, stock exhaust with GYTR end cap and I plan on leaving it that way so an apples to apples comparison with both bikes (06' and 07' YZ's) having similar mods or close to stock form would be best..

Thanks in advance guys:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:54 PM

The cams are in fact different. Lift is the same all the way back to the '03-'05 cams (5TA-12180-00-00/5TA-12180-00-00), but the timing was changed in each of the years '06 (5TA-12180-10-00/5TA-12180-10-00) and '07 (5TA-12180-20-00/5TA-12180-20-00) so that the low end grunt was reduced and more rev added on top. Thus, the '03 cams are the most brutish of the bunch, while the '07 have more top end, and the '06 is at a point in between.

At this point, all I can tell you about the '08 YZ450 cams is that they are different from any of the earlier grinds.

Incidentally, '03-'05 WR's already have the same intake as the '03-'05 YZ, and both the '06 WR and YZ share the 5TA-12170-10-00, so on those, it's just the exhaust that makes the difference. Your '07 has two totally different cams, probably related to meeting emissions standards.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:19 AM

For what you are wanting, RHC, Crower Power or HotCams would make a better choice

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:59 AM

For what you are wanting, RHC, Crower Power or HotCams would make a better choice

Apparently WR owners doing this mod are experiencing issues related to e-start and auto decomp when using anything but OEM YZ cams :busted:

Greyracer... so if I was to install an 06' exh. cam only I would be fine in regard to valve timing correct?

While very mechanical, this will be my first venture into the wonderful world of the 450 valve train.. sorry if the questions sound stupid but I have found that when it relates to my bike there is no such thing as a stupid question..:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure of the results of that swap, exactly, because as I said, the '07 WR has two cams that are all its own, whereas the '06 WR has the same intake as the '06 YZ. I'd be able to tell you what you'd get if you put both the '06 intake and exhaust in the bike, and you will more than likely get a good boost from using just the '06 exhaust cam in yours. I just haven't heard any direct feedback from anyone who has done that.

As far as timing, it will drop right in and work with the stock timing marks just like it belonged there.

• Wiz636

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:02 AM

Don, next time we are riding you'll have to ride my YZ. The power is very linear with a strong bottom end that transitions into an incredible upper range but without an arm ripping 'hit'.

From what I have heard from people that have ridden all of them, of the '06/'07/'08 YZ's the '06 seems to have the best (or at least preferred) power curve.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Apparently WR owners doing this mod are experiencing issues related to e-start and auto decomp when using anything but OEM YZ cams :busted:

Greyracer... so if I was to install an 06' exh. cam only I would be fine in regard to valve timing correct?

While very mechanical, this will be my first venture into the wonderful world of the 450 valve train.. sorry if the questions sound stupid but I have found that when it relates to my bike there is no such thing as a stupid question..:worthy:

that is interesting. CrowerPower will modify a stock Cam for you. I would think that the 06 cams would interchange into a 07, but this will need to be verified and to what affect they would affect other things with 07 CDI/timing

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Thanks alot for the feed back guys!

Wiz, maybe Sunday?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.