250 or 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • crfklxrider

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:36 PM

ok so im 5'9 im 15 and 185 lbs. i have a fully modded klx 300r and i ride pretty heavily rocky/tight trails, but i also am going to do some races in mass this yr. i am gonna get 1 of the 2 bikes,(250,450) but im worried the 450 might be too tough in the trails, what is your experience/ opinions?
thanks, Kevin w.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Hey Kevin, had you looked very closely in one of the sticky's, Clark4131 pretty much settles the whole 250 vs 450 debate. Since I'm such a nice guy here is the link:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=473960

But the answer to your question also depends on what year WR450F are you looking at? I have a 2003 and it is a handful for me in the East Coast technical trails and I am actually seriously considering downsizing to a 250 but then again I am also a beginner, 5'8", fat(195lbs), out of shape, and with a bad back(I have a ton of other excuses too). I hear the 2005's and 2007's carry their weight much better.

Anyhow, good luck with your choice and either way you should be happy/sad as the grass is always greener ...

• redswr

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:38 PM

get a 07 or newer 450 and you'll be very happy... i'm really glad i didn't get the 250 and i'm 5'6" chunky 200#'s

are you a fit 185?

• cpr1

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:02 AM

I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. I'm at best a good C rider. I have a 2004 WR450 and I ride mostly tight, rocky northern NJ trails and eastern PA trail junk. When I first got my 450 I thought it would be a total handfull in the tight woods...and it was .....until I revalved/resprung my suspension for my weight and added a Scott's stabilizer. Now I absolutley love this bike.:busted:

Just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:32 PM

I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. I'm at best a good C rider. I have a 2004 WR450 and I ride mostly tight, rocky northern NJ trails and eastern PA trail junk. When I first got my 450 I thought it would be a total handfull in the tight woods...and it was .....until I revalved/resprung my suspension for my weight and added a Scott's stabilizer. Now I absolutley love this bike.:busted:

Just my 2 cents.

Hey CPR1, I think my main issue is not the handling necessarily it is the massive amounts of power the bike creates. Sometimes I feel I have to be so careful with the throttle and the clutch(perhaps a rekluse would help) that I am on the imminent verge of an accident. Definitely I need to learn how to ride better. But I feel kinda bad that I barely put my bike in anything other than 1st, 2nd, and barely 3rd gear.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:45 PM

ok so im 5'9 im 15 and 185 lbs. i have a fully modded klx 300r and i ride pretty heavily rocky/tight trails, but i also am going to do some races in mass this yr. i am gonna get 1 of the 2 bikes,(250,450) but im worried the 450 might be too tough in the trails, what is your experience/ opinions?
thanks, Kevin w.

The 450, while good for your ego, will not be no-where near as good as the 250 in the tight trails.

Many people have 450's (like me) and have a lot of fun with them. Its a great bike I can playride on (playride = stop and rest). But I started racing last year and that bike gets very, very heavy after the first hour or so. Racing is mentally and physically exhausting.

I'm 5-9, 210lbs and I am going to get a 250 for racing. I'm most likely going two stroke for racing because you need the bike to be as light as possible when you race.

• cpr1

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hey CPR1, I think my main issue is not the handling necessarily it is the massive amounts of power the bike creates. Sometimes I feel I have to be so careful with the throttle and the clutch(perhaps a rekluse would help) that I am on the imminent verge of an accident. Definitely I need to learn how to ride better. But I feel kinda bad that I barely put my bike in anything other than 1st, 2nd, and barely 3rd gear.

I know what you mean about the power pulse that the 03-04 WR450's have. I changed my gearing to a 14-49 combo and it did help. My next mod is going to be a Rekluse clutch kit, and that should calm the bottom end "chug" factor down a bit more.:busted:

• face_plant

Posted February 07, 2008 - 12:07 PM

5 11" 200lbs wr450 (05)
out of shape and love to ride

trail riding is different than" goat pathing"
if you think your a goat then the 250

out of my 23 years of riding the 450 is the most capable machine that i ever owned. and it can on occasion whoop the dog snot out of you in a hurry.

around here we use 3 diffret gear setups
15 54-58 acting as a goat
14-50 trails
14-40 for the street

then the xr200 when we become a mountain goat

• crfklxrider

Posted February 07, 2008 - 03:22 PM

ok, thanks everybody!, by the way, im a fit 185 :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.