Loose Spokes.... Did I Wreck Something?

24 replies to this topic
  • dylanr

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:20 PM

On my past couple rides, I noticed that when I would slow down, the back end would kind of wiggle back and forth. So today I looked at my back wheel, the rim would move a little side to side, but the hub didn't. I finally realised that the spokes were loose, I tried to tighten them, and at least 5 of them wouldn't tighten, I also noticed that they were all bent, most likely from the torque of the hub. So what should I do? Since im running a 680, with some goodies, will I need to get heavy duty spokes to hold all that power? What kind? Im pretty sure the spokes werent loose before I did the motor work. This happen to anyone else?
thanks

• Old Dog

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Personally, I've never heard of a bike bending spokes because of too much torque/power alone. I've seen 100+ hp Harley's with laced wheels that don't bend spokes. I think your spokes have probably been loose for a while now and have gotten to the point where the slack has caused them to bend. A properly laced wheel (tightened and trued) shouldn't be bending spokes unless it's being jumped or exposed to severe load stresses. :busted:

• scalejockey

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Bent?? ..they do come with a slight bend at the hub when new.Is this the area you see?

Look real close at the rim for cracks at the nipple seat if it's been loose for a while.

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:06 PM

NEED a pic...But sounds like they got too loose and your gonna have to replace them all and make sure they didnt "Waller" the holes out on hub or rim.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:22 PM

You need to do a once-over on the whole bike. If your rear wheel spokes were so loose that the wheel shifted, you could easily bend spokes. And damage the hub, and the chain, and the chain guide, the disc, etc, etc,. I would imagine there are several other areas that need immediate attention as well.

I am very concerned that you would ride a motorcycle without doing basic maintenece such as checking the spokes. You are going to do permanent damge to the bike, and to you when you crash, if you don't start paying more attention to the bike.

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:27 PM

It sometimes takes a good "eye opener" to get ya going for sure. EVERYONE please check yo bikes out, ive witnessed a guy low side in a 180 corner and get a broken neck cuz he was trapped under a guard rail. THAT was my eye opener about street safety SPECIALLY on my 600RR

• resurrection

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:38 PM

The old saying the cobbilers kid has no shoes .Is so true, it means the shoe maker was so busy fixing every one elses shoes he didn't check his own kids shoes.
this will happen to even the best machanics out there .We should all double check our machines .
I see a many bikes a year for service and some are in better shape then my own ,and I've done all their service for years .
$ talks and I listen sometimes at my own expence.

• jetfuel

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:59 PM

I agree with the other posts.. If you didn't notice a wheel that loose what else didn't you notice?? ..It's time to go over everything now..

complacency is what eventually causes problems.

• ej67ss

Posted February 06, 2008 - 12:12 AM

Every time I go for a very hard long ride I check my spokes and they loosen a little. I think the honda steel that they use in those spokes is garbage. Buy the thicker spokes and nipples from www.buchananspokes.com Buy the excel rims that match and enjoy spokes that stay tight! The first few rides on any new wheel set the spokes will loosen up. Every new bike that I have ever owned loosened up so you have to check them often the first few rides. Also buy a well made spoke wrench with a thick head to get a good grip on the spoke nipple.If you try to tighten your stock Honda spoke nipples be careful they are very easy to damage!!!

• cleonard

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:45 AM

One day several years ago I noticed the same thing on one of my bikes. All of the spokes were loose. I just tightened them up and I never had a problem again.

One thing about spokes, it's real easy to over tighten them. Then you wil get broken spokes. I had this problem with my current XR600. The previous owner put on some Excel's and way over did it. I've replaced a few of them. Then I went around the wheel and loosened them all a little. No more broken spokes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dylanr

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:07 PM

I checked the spokes again, ive never really tightened them before. Before i didnt hold the spoke with a vice grips, now i did, and they tightened pretty well, i am a little worried that some of the spokes are bent, but i think ill run it as long as i dont have any problems. Once again you guys were right. I guess ive just been paying so much attention to the motor, i forgot about everything else. Ive got it running pretty good, and the edelbrock dialed in pretty well, it goes like a raped ape, 3rd gear wheelies easily.
thanks for the help.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:27 PM

[quote name='dylanr']I checked the spokes again, ive never really tightened them before. Before i didnt hold the spoke with a vice grips,
QUOTE]

Aaaaahhhhheeee!!!:busted: :worthy: !

• resurrection

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:09 PM

You can buy torque wrenches .

• Kenzo

Posted February 08, 2010 - 07:46 AM

One day several years ago I noticed the same thing on one of my bikes. All of the spokes were loose. I just tightened them up and I never had a problem again.

One thing about spokes, it's real easy to over tighten them. Then you wil get broken spokes. I had this problem with my current XR600. The previous owner put on some Excel's and way over did it. I've replaced a few of them. Then I went around the wheel and loosened them all a little. No more broken spokes.

DOH!!! :lol:

i guess i've been slack'n... :lol:

...get'n ready to load my bike after the two day weekend ride and noticed the rear wheel was loose...i thought crap i've trashed the wheel bearings!

nope! all of the rear rear spokes are loose! :moon: :moon:

looks like it caused the rear brake pads to wear prematurely too!

haven't even had a chance to wash the bike yet so a closer inspection will follow...hope i can just retighten since i'm save'n my pennies for a lighter bike :bonk:

did notice a little loosey-goosey front end and the rear end a little loose on fast sections but have been ride'n in kinda wet snoty sandy conditions lately... :lol:

it's time that i step up my pre-ride inspection! :ride:

:D

• pwrpapa

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:06 PM

When you tighten spokes you skip every third one and go around the wheel like that until you have hit them all.
If the wheel is out of round ,well that's a different method, but if the spokes just need tightening that how I do it.

• Kenzo

Posted February 11, 2010 - 07:10 PM

When you tighten spokes you skip every third one and go around the wheel like that until you have hit them all.
If the wheel is out of round ,well that's a different method, but if the spokes just need tightening that how I do it.

:ride:

i worked my way around 1/3 turn every third spoke...it came out fairly true and runout looks gud...

now i've notice just the smallest bit of play between the left/sprocket side bearing and axle...looks like a bearing change is in the future but i still rotates very freely and no sound or roughness...so i'm just gunna keep an eye on it for now.

:ride:

• hadameo

Posted February 11, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Your spokes and all bolts and fasteners should be checked after every ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• baisleyde

Posted February 12, 2010 - 08:53 AM

Your spokes and all bolts and fasteners should be checked after every ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with checking things out on a regular basis , but thats a lot of work for someone who rides every day.

• Ironwood

Posted February 12, 2010 - 10:55 AM

After a lot of riding on a particular bike you get a feel for what needs to be checked on what basis.

Good maintenance pays huge dividends in the long run. Remember, you can ride further in in an hour than you can walk in a day.

Joe

• hadameo

Posted February 13, 2010 - 08:42 AM

I agree with checking things out on a regular basis , but thats a lot of work for someone who rides every day.

I ride everyday and it takes awhole 10 mins for a good spinner wrench test,ironwood said it best;good maintaince pays huge dividends!!!!:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.