Price for a new piston/Ring job

11 replies to this topic
  • GENE426

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:34 PM

What is a decent Price for a new piston/Ring job on a 04 YZ450?
I fig ring and piston kit is $150...So what should i expect to pay for labor on this?

• KJ790

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:00 PM

It costs about 3 hours of your life.

Seriously, if you have a manual, you may be better off just doing it yourself, especially if you know someone that can help you do it. The manual guides you through it very well, and there are many good posts on TT that help too.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:37 PM

I just paid $220 for piston, rings, all new valves, and cam chain install. I wanted to do the work myself, but I don't have the eye for what all was wrong inside. I think I got a pretty sweet deal for a Yamaha tech.

• GENE426

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:08 PM

I'm scared to do it
I will be worring for a month if I did it right.
I'm a Contractor and do alot of trades but just scared to try that...

• KJ790

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Have you ever done a two stroke top end? If you have then you really shouldn't worry because it is pretty much the same. If you haven't done a two stroke top end before, then you may want to have someone who has help you the first time. It really isn't that hard to do if you take your time and follow the manual.

• GENE426

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:16 PM

Done alot of smokers in my day
Have not done it in 6 years thou

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Turn down an opportunity to learn something...??? Piece of cake....Its not nuclear science, take your time amd enjoy it..I like to drink beer when I work on my bike, it makes it fun..

• 642MX

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:06 PM

..I like to drink beer when I work on my bike, it makes it fun..

I hope your joking. :busted:

• GENE426

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Turn down an opportunity to learn something...??? Piece of cake....Its not nuclear science, take your time amd enjoy it..[COLOR="Red"]I like to drink beer when I work on my bike, it makes it fun[/COLOR]..

Now thats funny.....
i like Beer too but i pretty sure not when I'm fig out a top end

LOL :busted: :worthy: :ride: :blah: :blah: :cry:

• wswain

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:43 PM

i got mine done at the local dealer a 125 2 stroke and altogether it was $500 Aus and my mate got his exc250 done and it was around $1000. so it was double for a 4 stroke.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:17 AM

Turn down an opportunity to learn something...??? Piece of cake....Its not nuclear science, take your time amd enjoy it..I like to drink beer when I work on my bike, it makes it fun..

funny...it makes me make mistakes and then I end up :busted:

• GENE426

Posted February 09, 2008 - 12:36 PM

funny...it makes me make mistakes and then I end up :busted:

ME TOO

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.