???'s about wr 400 forks

6 replies to this topic
  • ridinredneck

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:19 PM

i am rebuilding the forks on my 99 wr400f. what is the big hex head nut at the very bottom of the forks? the one that the rebound screw sits in the center of. i turned it, will this hurt it? lol.what will turning it do? i tried to tighten it back up but it wont tighten, just turns. also can you tell me how much oil it takes to fill them once they are empty. thanks

• tcmII

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:50 PM

You need to get your hands on a manual.

The "hex" nut you described sounds like the valve on the bottom. This valve connects to the damper rod and needs to be tight for all to work.

Fork oil these forks is set by height measured for the top of the fork tube with the fork pumped and compressed. If I remember correctly the std in 95mm.

• ridinredneck

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:54 PM

thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:32 PM

aww you poor bastard , i did the same thing a week ago . you have to take off the top cap and spring ,then get a piece of 1" pvc pipe and cut grooves on one end , 4 of them . this will fit over the dampner rod down to the cartrige it now allows you to hold the cartrige so you can spin the base valve off . you loosened it so now you have to tighten it or take it all apart .

download a manual from yamaha .com and look at motoman's website on how to make tools for working on your forks , the link is under one of the stickys for the site .

• ridinredneck

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:05 AM

aww you poor bastard , i did the same thing a week ago . you have to take off the top cap and spring ,then get a piece of 1" pvc pipe and cut grooves on one end , 4 of them . this will fit over the dampner rod down to the cartrige it now allows you to hold the cartrige so you can spin the base valve off . you loosened it so now you have to tighten it or take it all apart .

download a manual from yamaha .com and look at motoman's website on how to make tools for working on your forks , the link is under one of the stickys for the site .

i was afraid of that. thanks for the info. i'll get that took care of so i can get them together. thanks again

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Not 100% but I think the clicker on the bottom of your fork is compression, not rebound.

For fluid and seal changes you only have to unscrew the top, it's not that tough... I think motion pro makes a tool to retighten the bottom nut... make sure you get it tight, if it comes loose while riding you are looking at big $$$$

• ridinredneck

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:42 AM

i got it all tight now. thanks for all the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.