98YZ400f decompression cable?

19 replies to this topic
  • garrett480

Posted February 05, 2008 - 01:52 PM

Does anyone know if a 99 yz400 decompression cable will fit a 98 yz400? Im getting ready to buy one off of ebay and it is alot cheaper than at the Dealer but alot more difficult to return if it does not fit.

• byggd

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:02 PM

I'm not sure but you can have the one off my 02 wr426 if it will fit.

• garrett480

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Man, I really appreciate that. I just might take you up on it. I guess I will call Yamaha and ask. Unfortunately most guys working the part counter are unknowledgable and don't know anything about bikes that are over 2 yrs old. :busted: Gotta ask for a manager to get the answer most of the time:bonk:

• ncampion

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Should be identical, but you could check the part number with one of the various on-line part lookups.

• garrett480

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:23 PM

Should be identical, but you could check the part number with one of the various on-line part lookups.

Good idea!....Checking it out now. Not feeling like the "sharpest tool in the shed" after that reply.:busted: :worthy:

• garrett480

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Byggd, thanks again for the offer. Just checked the part number and the 02 will not fit unfortunately. The 99 will however.
Thanks for the help guys.

• byggd

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:04 AM

Byggd, thanks again for the offer. Just checked the part number and the 02 will not fit unfortunately. The 99 will however.
Thanks for the help guys.

That's too bad. Oh well E for effort.

• matt4x4

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:04 AM

The cable IS the same for 98 thru 02, the number is off some, but every year they change it to identify it for that year.
Since everything else is the same on both ends and the length didn't change (same frame etc) it WILL work.

• byggd

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:53 PM

The offer still stands. If for some reason it doesn't work no biggie, just pass it on to someone that can use it. I went to auto decompress so i'll not be needing it. I think I still have the lever, arm and spring.

-Don

• garrett480

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:12 PM

[quote name='matt4x4']The cable IS the same for 98 thru 02, the number is off some, but every year they change it to identify it for that year.
Since everything else is the same on both ends and the length didn't change (same frame etc) it WILL work.[you /QUOTE]

Hey Matt!!...after all the help you were on my sons clutch...I am sure you are right!!:worthy: :ride: As I said earlier in the thread, why can't the people at the dealer tell me this :busted: Thanks bud:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • garrett480

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:25 PM

The offer still stands. If for some reason it doesn't work no biggie, just pass it on to someone that can use it. I went to auto decompress so i'll not be needing it. I think I still have the lever, arm and spring.

-Don

I think I will take you up on your offer. :busted: I am blown away by your genorosity. Thanks dude! Sure I can't at least buy you 12 to 24 of your favorite ale?:worthy:

• byggd

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I think I will take you up on your offer. :busted: I am blown away by your genorosity. Thanks dude! Sure I can't at least buy you 12 to 24 of your favorite ale?:worthy:

Just some parts I have laying around in my garage collecting dust. If someone can make good use of them so much the better! I had another TT member do the same for me. While it was only a throttle stop screw he asked for nothing in return. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll dig it up when I get home.

-Don

• matt4x4

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:35 AM

Absolute classic example of the greatness of this forum!!!

I'm pretty convinced the part will work for several reasons:
Bike frame is identical 98-02, cable routes along frame in same manner, so logic tells me it WILL fit. Cable ends on diagram are identical, the decomp lever and mechanical component at engine didn't change - heck, even after putting auto decomp on the bike they kept the same head and just plugged the hole.

As to why the guys at the stealership parts counter can't tell you anything:

1. They look at diagrams, but have no clue about the real bikes
2. If they tell you the wrong thing they are liable and will lose their job
3. It requires a little thinking - they do not get paid for that
4. they don't ever see the bikes
5. Minimum wage means you can check your brain at the door
6. malnutritioned because all their money goes to weed.
7. Rule 1 - never talk customer out of a purchase by giving alternate option

Now go into a bike shop and ask a guy who actually touches the bikes, and he'll probably tell you you can fit a honda decomp cable onto the beast without mods!

• garrett480

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Absolute classic example of the greatness of this forum!!!

I'm pretty convinced the part will work for several reasons:
Bike frame is identical 98-02, cable routes along frame in same manner, so logic tells me it WILL fit. Cable ends on diagram are identical, the decomp lever and mechanical component at engine didn't change - heck, even after putting auto decomp on the bike they kept the same head and just plugged the hole.

As to why the guys at the stealership parts counter can't tell you anything:

1. They look at diagrams, but have no clue about the real bikes
2. If they tell you the wrong thing they are liable and will lose their job
3. It requires a little thinking - they do not get paid for that
4. they don't ever see the bikes
5. Minimum wage means you can check your brain at the door
6. malnutritioned because all their money goes to weed.
7. Rule 1 - never talk customer out of a purchase by giving alternate option

Now go into a bike shop and ask a guy who actually touches the bikes, and he'll probably tell you you can fit a honda decomp cable onto the beast without mods!

Too funny. Now that you have put things into perspective...I now know why I never get the answer or help Im looking for when dealing with the clowns at the dealer. I especially like rule #7. I swear thats the truth!!:worthy: and that goes right with #6. :busted: Sad but true!
Hooray for THUMPERTALK!!

• garrett480

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Just some parts I have laying around in my garage collecting dust. If someone can make good use of them so much the better! I had another TT member do the same for me. While it was only a throttle stop screw he asked for nothing in return. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll dig it up when I get home.

-Don

Sending you a PM..Can't thank you enough!:busted: :worthy:

• byggd

Posted February 13, 2008 - 01:59 PM

Garrett, Did you get the shipment ok? It shows delivered Monday. I sent you a PM but no reply.

-Don

• garrett480

Posted February 14, 2008 - 10:00 AM

Sorry for the late response. Computer took a crap after my son spilled soda on it. Just got my new one.
Cable worked like a dream. Same size as the old one. :applause: :) Thanks a million for the cable and lever Don. That was very genorous of you. :cry: Im sure the lever will come in handy. I break enough of them!
Also thanks Matt for the heads up on the cable size. You were right on. Same size just a different part #. :banghead: Makes no since that the parts are exactly the same but have differant #s.
You guys rock!

• matt4x4

Posted February 14, 2008 - 11:59 AM

Awesome!
I bet even the guys at the Yamaha factory have no clue as to what is what when it comes to those numbers.
I'd love to get my hands on some spreadsheet that cross references the parts back to a master part number - this has to exist somewhere, or else could you see the confusion at the subcontractor when Yamaha needs 20 clutch cables for 4 different years - they tool up for part one, then retool to the same dies for the next identical but renumbered part and so on.........

Anyone notice the other thing strange with these parts, depending on the year of the bike (parts being identical, but numbers of course won't be) the price changes, sometimes by a lot. where is the reasoning in THAT???
Lately, I've been shopping the microfiche on line, go to the dealer and order 1 part for a 2000, another for a 2003 and so on - the guy looks at me funny every time and I think he's catching on because all I seem to ride are 98 through 05 WR 400, 426 or 450's all at the same time......

• garrett480

Posted February 14, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Thanks again Matt for the info and Yeah! Whats up with the parts being identical but one is more expensive? The cable for instance is a couple of bucks more for a 98 vs. 02.
The cross reference spreadsheet your mentioning would be a very cool and probably very valuable tool. If there is such an animal....whos got it? If not, Id be the first in line to buy one from the person who came up with it:worthy: :applause:.
You would think the manufacturer would share this info with us. For example....some of the kx80 and rm80 parts are interchangable from what ive read.

• byggd

Posted February 14, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Thanks a million for the cable and lever Don.

No problem. Glad to help out another TTer!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.